Thread: #1 hunter hercules tool.

#1 hunter hercules tool.

i am seriously looking to purchase one. i seem to do better with the carbide tools than anything else. i have the osprey tool and love it, but an afraid to tackle bowl type jobs because of the round shank. will the square shank be more stable for doing bowl type items??? thanks for any input.

Paul
    There are many more experienced turners than me to give you insight but, with that said, I will give you my few thoughts. Some will say, or give the impression that carbide tools are some way cheating the skill, or taking a short cut. I for one, when I first started, leaned on my carbide turners a lot. Mainly, because I simply wasn't sure how my other tools would react to a certain cut. Although I don't use my carbide tools as much as I did in the past, there are still times I reach for them.

When you brought up the square shank, I really had to sit and think, what do my go to tools shank look like. Weird, right. Without discussing lathe tool mft's, I can tell you the couple tools that I go to for bowl roughing, turning, cleaning up, etc all have the round shank.

What I would suggest to you, myself still being a new turner (under two years) is to get what tools make you comfortable and to continue to turn. If you are like me, and you fall in love with the entire experience, you will experiment more and more with other tools, types of cuts, pull cut...push cut, and before you know it, you will have far more turning tools than what you actually need, or use. LOL. I have made the assumption that you are new to turning so I hope I did not insult with my reply.