Thread: Epilog Legend 32 any secrets?

Epilog Legend 32 any secrets?

Hi!

I just purchased an old epilog legend 32 engraver. I got a really good deal on it but the synrad laser needs regassing and the lcd screen has a few lines not working. I replaced the synrad with a 40w glass tube and power supply. The laser fires and I can both cut and engrave. What I am looking for are tips tricks and secrets for this laser.

Thanks!
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

Here are some pictures of the engraver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Corwin; 12-23-2014 at 3:54 PM.
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

I have a Legend 24tt, and have used a 32 that belongs to a colleague but his is 100 watts and dual head. It's probably about the same vintage, since he bought it used about 2005. I know he had to replace the rails, they do wear faster with that 32" travel, so be sure to keep it well lubricated.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Hi,

Glass tube, pls throw some detail of replacing with Epilog tube

regards
    Epilog Legend 24 EX - 75W with Rotary
    Fiber laser Marker 20w ( IPG)
    Flat bed heat press, Mug printing, Epson 230 x 2
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.
    "If you think you can or you cannot - you're right" HENRY FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Rangarajan Saravana kumar View Post
    Hi, Glass tube, pls throw some detail of replacing with Epilog tube regards
    Huh? I don't understand what your asking.

I think he is asking the details on how you installed the glass tube in place of the synrad metal tube.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I think he is asking the details on how you installed the glass tube in place of the synrad metal tube.
    That was easy. All you have to do is make a mount for the tube that hooks into the bracket for the synrad. Hook up the water, install the new tube power supply and modify the signal cable to connect to the ttl low terminal on the supply.

I'll take some Picts later.

Still very curious to install a glass tube for my epilog 50w legend

Pls update with the photos

Regards
    Epilog Legend 24 EX - 75W with Rotary
    Fiber laser Marker 20w ( IPG)
    Flat bed heat press, Mug printing, Epson 230 x 2
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.
    "If you think you can or you cannot - you're right" HENRY FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Rangarajan Saravana kumar View Post
    Still very curious to install a glass tube for my epilog 50w legend Pls update with the photos Regards
    Here they are! This is only temporary until I can get the rf laser regassed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris, I could be wrong, but you are the first person I can recall that has successfully installed a glass tube in place of a sealed RF tube. I think a lot of people would be interested in this. Does the tube behave the same as the old tube in both raster and vector modes? What do you see as the downside to continuing to use the glass tube rather than regassing the sealed tube?

The glass tube fires when the laser tells it to fire because the laser power supply accepts TTL signals from the epilog controller. There are small differences to running a glass tube on an engraver designed for rf lasers. The glass tubes are not as "quick" to fire and might have lower power for their labeled output. The glass tube I'm using is over 2 years old and might be on its way out so its hard to tell if it's my tube or the controller or both. I know the 25w universal we use in school has cleaner cuts and might be as powerful as the 40w glass tube I'm using.

In the long run, I want the 35w synrad tube refilled to bring the full potential of this epilog back.

I have an old Radius 25watt with a Synrad tube (1998) still works fine. I did get a quote to have it remanufactured just in case. It was about $1500.

Congrats on getting a glass tube to run! You are the first I heard on that...may save a lot of lasers from the junkyard!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!