Thread: Powermatic 2020 Short bed

Powermatic 2020 Short bed

You guys that have newer Powermatic lathes, what do you think of them. I see PM just came out with a short bed version of the 3520. I had a older Australian Woodfast that I sold a few years ago, and to tell the truth I never turned a spindle. Always bowls or vessels. So there is no need for a std. bed lathe. I was looking at the Sweet 16s but they are a couple grand more, although a better product for sure.

Steve

I have a 3520B that I bought new maybe 3 years ago and I have nothing but good things to say about it. While I'd love a Robust lathe, I have absolutely no need or plans to upgrade. Depending on your hollowing method, you may want to check on the bed length required. My Monster articulated system needs most of the bed length on the 3520.
    Last edited by Jon Nuckles; 12-25-2014 at 7:55 PM. Reason: Add re hollowing

I have several lathes including both the Powermatic 2350b and the Robust. Having a sliding head stock is great. I even got an extension when I ordered the Powermatic several years ago.

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking of the 18" extension for longer work, if I ever needed it, but can't figure out how a 20" is $100 less then a 35" but the extension is almost $500.

If you have the room the 3520B is the way to go. It will get the tailstock out of the way without removing it, the extra mass is helpful. I have a swing away on my lathe and a lot of times with smaller bowls I don't take the trouble to slide the headstock to the end so I park the tailstock as far away as I can. Some of my hollowing tools have rather long handles. I wouldn't want my ways to be any shorter.
    Fred

Fellow turning club member just bought a 3520b and wanted the extension but balked at the price. Four (close to 5 now) years ago I got extension free when buying my 3520b. I wouldn't live without it, I can move freely without tangling in the legs of the lathe when turning bowls off the end. I've never removed it and never mounted it in the lower position.

Size/length is kind of a restriction for me. I have a basement shop with a lot of pretty good size machines in it and I thought the smaller bed would be a better fit. Anyone with a 3520, if you could give me a total overall measurement, not just the bed but with the motor also, I would appreciate it.

I'm not convinced you will save a whole lot of space. I had a 3520 for a number of years. I too turn no spindles of length. The motor is 10 or 12" long. To use the total 35" the head stock must be moved far left on the ways hanging the motor out about 12" past the bed. I never kept my lathe that way. I usually kept the head stock positioned so the end of the motor was even with the left side of the bed. I only took up enough space for the length of the ways. If you buy a 20" machine and store the head stock far left, you will probably only save a foot or so over all compared to buying the 3520.
    Now two things to consider. First, if you want to use a hollowing rig, you will need some bed length. Of course, you could always buy a bed extension but that would take you back to a full size machine. Secondly, I suspect the resale value will not match the resale value of a 3520. Either way, they are a great machine for the money.
    faust

I agree with Faust. I keep my drive over the ways to put more mass in center of unit for unbalanced work. The wider longer base will also be more stable. I looked at the specs on the 2020 and think I like my 3520 a lot better. I have the bed extension on mine and need it for a hollowing rig.

As has been mentioned, if you're hollowing with a captive rig, there's a limit to the length of the ways that is necessary based on the length of the piece you're hollowing. On my Robust ab, the standard bed allows 28" between centers; adding for the tilt away, I can get 34" between centers. With my Jamieson hollowing rig setup I can squeeze in a hollow form that's 17" long comfortably. Been considering getting the 16" bed extension just to have a little more room. 20" bed would severely limit the length of the hollow form that could be accommodated.

I guess the 3520 is the way to go.

Thanks

Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall during the meetings that made this decision because I just don't get the pricing for this 20/20 machine specification. They must have some type of research that says "yes" but I just don't see it unless they plan on bumping up the price on the 3520B in the near future.

More then likely the good old shipping and handling excuse.

Really guys, the only difference between the 2020 and 3520 is 15" of bed. You still have the same number headstocks, tailstocks, legs, motors, electronics, etc. It's like the difference between a short bed and long bed pickup - there isn't a big cost savings to the manufacturer to make a pickup bed a foot and a half shorter, so their won't be a big cost difference to the consumer. I agree with the others, if you're getting the PM and have the shop space, get the 3520.

You also mentioned the Robust S16, yes it's more money, but you can now get it with the Tilt-Away. Their are three bed lengths (only $100 difference in their pricing too for the bed lengths). US made, better warranty, stainless ways, etc. Did you see the video where the guy makes a 32" table top? Sweet.