Thread: Another Sketchup Question

Another Sketchup Question

I purchased Dave Richards' DVD on Sketchup. I have been working though it. I'm on my third pass. There are several differences between my version, 2015 and the one in the video that I think is 2008. I really like the way he has his set up but it seems like that is not possible with the new version. Are there addons that can make the new version work like the 2008 version?

CPeter

Greetings,

Are you referring to the way I have the toolbars set up? You don't need any add-ons to set the tools up that way in SU2015. I'll send you a PM in a minute or two.

What does it mean to be a sketch up authorized trainer?

Blog Entries
    I don't know what it means, but Dave is both very knowledgeable and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by John Densmore View Post
    What does it mean to be a sketch up authorized trainer?
    It means I went through their certification process and proved to them that I can teach others to use all of the features of SketchUp, LayOut and Style Builder.

Lowell, thank you very much for the nice words.

Dave has helped me on occasion and it required great patience on his part.
    He is one of the most willingly helpful people on this forum.....and that says a lot!!

Jim

Dave...Mind sharing how you got 2015 to resemble 2008?

Jordan,

I just got 2015. Under View, then under Toolbars, selecting "Large Tool Set" that had the most effect for me. It's not quite like 2008 but very similar in appearance.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jordan,

Ken's method works. I did it a little differently for the tools down the left side. I made two custom toolbars and put the tools on in the same order I had them in SU8--you have to make 2 toolbars because you can't dock a two column toolbar. It looks much the same as the Large Tool Set but the tools take less real estate because there are no divider bars and I left out some tools I don't use or at least don't use often enough to justify the space. For example I don't do dimensions, labels or other text in SketchUp so I didn't include those tools on the toolbars. I never select Orbit or Pan from a toolbar either so those tools are absent from my toolbars.

OK, so I opened Pandora's Box!! I have to say that Dave is most helpful and after he and I conversed last Sunday, I got my Sketchup set up and with a few tips along the way, I am off and running and learning as I go. His method of doing the toolbars is really easy....once you understand the scheme and I do recommend it.

I thanked him off line and do it here as well. On his video he shows some way of doing things that are really easy. It is a good way to get started.

CPeter