Thread: Ornaments and other recent turnings

Ornaments and other recent turnings

It's been a while since I dug out my camera, I was late doing ornaments for the family this year so here is a sampling of recent work.
    DSC_2061.jpg I did about 20 of these little gems, all but the first two had painted scenes on them. The globes are small - less than 1 1/2" so they are not hollow. I will be doing a club demo on these this weekend. These are hard maple with acrylic paint pens and Krylon clear gloss spray. Two sets of four are in the mail to family groups and local family members will be dropping in and receiving one before Christmas.

DSC_2073.jpgThis is Banksia pod and Holly. I did two of these - one for my mother and one for the wife.
    DSC_2071.jpgI had to take a break while turning all of those ornaments so I made these. I call the chalice/goblets 'fairy goblets' they are about 1 1/4" diameter. Maple with woodburning, walnut oil and wax finish. my wife has claimed the one with the Celtic Knot (and the "bowl") and the other is a gift.

this was a bit earlier - in November. I was experimenting with finials after watching on of Cindy Drozda's videos and trying her gind on a spindle gouge. I just had to make something to use a finial and wanted to try texturing with gesso coating.
    DSC_2066.jpgFinial is ebony with pink pearl (I think) ring at the base. HF is mahogany with burned textures and black gesso with Krylon satin spray on top. About 4" diameter. Celtic knot was laid out and burned, including the stipled background, then v-e-r-y carefully painted around with a fine brush.

C&C are of course welcome.
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 12-17-2014 at 4:09 PM.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I really like your painted ornaments, the colors really fit the season.
    Happy holidays & keep on turning !

Thanks Joe. I had to dig deep into memory for the snow scene though. While I grew up in Maryland, I've lived in Florida or Texas for the last 25 years.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).