Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Delta Rockwell Wood Lathe (left outside for a year)- should I buy?

I'll add to what I've already said.....Folks have mentioned weather damage to the electronics. The only electronics on that lathe is the motor. It's a reeves drive which is a device that is used with a lever to change speeds. That has a belt and pulleys.

You mentioned 6 or so tools. They may or may not have value. The lathe was made in the 1970's. That's when I had mine. If the tools came with the lathe they are no doubt carbon steel with not much value. If they were purchased later and are high speed steel they are worth over $200.

If I lived near Denver, you wouldn't have to worry about the rust. I live 1 mile from the Ocean and we have real rust. Nothing has to be perfect on a wood lathe, just safe. You are not machining watch parts. Try turning the drive/motor by hand. Make sure switch box is clean (no wet dust). Plug it in, try switch. I would have had it by now. Good luck with it. It will be an above average learning lathe.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. I'll buy it.

I'll post some pictures soon as well (the one above is not the real thing, just the same model). I can also show what the tools look like to determine what sort of metal they are made of.

Based on the amazing feedback that I've got here in just a couple hours, I'm very impressed and will be sure to get you all updates soon.

If it turns out to be a bust, I'll get in touch with anyone who is interested in parts.

Thanks again,
    Rob

There is a lot more than $40 in parts if you need to part it out or if you have the room , hold on to it for a little bit. You could watch for another that may need some parts you would already have.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Having restored a number of machines I notice one thing that gets underrepresented when the topic of restoration comes up; the knowledge you get from the process. If you enjoy learning and have some knack for mechanical things you may even find it as fun as the woodworking itself. There is nothing like putting machines to work that you truly "own."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Having restored a number of machines I notice one thing that gets underrepresented when the topic of restoration comes up; the knowledge you get from the process. If you enjoy learning and have some knack for mechanical things you may even find it as fun as the woodworking itself. There is nothing like putting machines to work that you truly "own."
    Definitely. After building a RepRap 3D printer from scratch, I have a much greater understanding of the simple things- the benefits of a rigid construction, lubricants, threadlocker... and techniques that I would have never found out if I purchased one. I also have become very attached to it because I do feel like I truly "own" it.

After constructing that and getting it to print parts, I got the confidence in my mechanical abilities to take this project on... lots of great opportunities.

So I got some (blurry) pictures of the lathe itself. I wasn't able to turn it on because I need to find the "on" key. Not sure how to do that yet.

1217141639-01.jpg1217141639-03.jpg1217141639-00.jpg1217141639-02.jpg

I inspected the ways and they are not pitted at all, just rusty, which is great.

I had one big question- in this picture of the same model, there is this round disc piece on the pallet in front of the lathe. Mine does not have that part. Is it important? Does it attach to the headstock? Or can I use a drive center (or safety drive center)?

delta-46-612.jpg

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Schwartz View Post
    ...I had one big question- in this picture of the same model, there is this round disc piece on the pallet in front of the lathe. Mine does not have that part. Is it important? Does it attach to the headstock? Or can I use a drive center (or safety drive center)?
    Hard to tell for sure, but that is probably a faceplate. Yes it goes on the headstock spindle and yes you can just use a drive center. Faceplate would be for cross-grain mounting for bowls, platters etc. Most turners now use scroll chucks instead, but the faceplate gives the most secure attachment, and many still advocate its use. Between centers is used for starting a bowl to make the tenon and for general spindle work where the grain runs the length of the bed rather than across it.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

From the looks of the tail stock, it is the same. If the speed handle is there it certainly is. The older model has a wheel for changing speeds and more cumbersome to opperate. I turned on on of these for about 12 years. It was a great lathe. Pull the lid off over the pulleys and see if the little notches on the outboard side of the pully are stripped out. This is used for indexing and many used in schools were broken out by engaging the indexing pin with the lath running. Sold mine in the Chicago area for $500 5 years ago.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    From the looks of the tail stock, it is the same. If the speed handle is there it certainly is. The older model has a wheel for changing speeds and more cumbersome to opperate. I turned on on of these for about 12 years. It was a great lathe. Pull the lid off over the pulleys and see if the little notches on the outboard side of the pully are stripped out. This is used for indexing and many used in schools were broken out by engaging the indexing pin with the lath running. Sold mine in the Chicago area for $500 5 years ago.
    Good news- they look just fine to me:

20141218_112114.jpg

Thanks for letting me know.

Go ahead and buy it for $40 and sell it to me for $80. Seriously, I would jump on this machine even with a little rust. I have rebuilt older/rusty machinery and will do it again, since these machines are built nicer & heavier than some newer iron. And the price is attractive. You should be able to find a turner in your area to assist in getting this machine going. I am not a turning-only woodworker, but love good heavy machinery just the same.

That should clean up nicely Rob. Google "Kroil" and get some to soak the stuck parts. Get a wire wheel for your angle grinder and bench grinder, and if you can, pick up a finishing Beartex convolute wheel for more metal work.

DO NOT USE SANDPAPER ON THE WAYS, I believe it is 3M that makes some pads, cannot thing of the name right now, maybe someone else can. It works like an abrasive but won't remove metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    DO NOT USE SANDPAPER ON THE WAYS, I believe it is 3M that makes some pads, cannot thing of the name right now, maybe someone else can. It works like an abrasive but won't remove metal.
    ScotchBrite? +1 I use with WD-40 as a lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Schwartz View Post
    Good news- they look just fine to me:

20141218_112114.jpg

Thanks for letting me know.
    That piece a lone is worth over $100 to a restorer. That is going to be a great lathe even if it was a lot more. WD 40 works great for removing rust. Scotch Brite or some mild steel wool. No sand disks or paper. I'm totally jealous.
    Member Illiana Woodturners