Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 20" jointer to buy

Gregory, that Nova 520 looks like a beast.. Maybe you can answer a question about that machine that even the sales brochure didn't answer, Are the jointer tables adjusted for coplanar using cams (ie. Parellogram adjustment)?

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Maybe Erik will post the differences among the SCMI models. Dave
    Dave, generally speaking, the Class is the same as the Nova series in regards to mechanical construction but with more electronic or motorized options.

The L'Invincibles are bigger again and typically have some proprietary features that are not available on the Class or Nova lines. I have never personally seen an F7 but know that it has a feature where you can dial in an amount of concavity to the face of your board, for example. I guess the concept is that it leaves some room for glue if you are sandwiching boards. That's how it was explained to me, anyhow.

The Nova's are by far the best selling line in the whole Artis (formerly "Classical") line from SCM Group.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

While shiny and new is always nice, I think you could buy more machine for the $15-18k that you might be thinking of spending. Last I knew, the basic new Martin was $20-22k. But... If you have just a little time, and a little patience, you will have no trouble locating a nearly new, used Martin possibly with some bells and whistles for your target price. And IMHO a much better machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roskey View Post
    Gregory, thanks so much for posting the images. Who did you order from? I had the same issue with an SCM sliding table saw. It wasn't palletized at all - just thrown on a truck with a tarp over it. I'm actually replacing the exact same grizzly...actually will save it for back up. That thing is a monster!
    I bought mine from Sam Blasco a year and a half or so ago. I don't have a local SCMI dealer--the regional dealer in my area was dropped by SCM Group.

The jointer shipped fine--the shipping company destroyed the bottom of the crate in transit!

What slider did you buy? I looked them over this summer and was impressed--though I ended up going with a new Altendorf F45.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Gregory, that Nova 520 looks like a beast.. Maybe you can answer a question about that machine that even the sales brochure didn't answer, Are the jointer tables adjusted for coplanar using cams (ie. Parellogram adjustment)?
    I believe--let me look and get back to you. My machine was good from the factory so I did not take the front covers off. There are two things that look like cams for a standard parallelogram set-up on each side on the back that are not covered. The infeed table follows the cutter head like a parallelogram setup.

Just one more thought--the current SCMI Nova jointers will accept the mortiser SCMI/MM offers. I don't know what it costs--but I have been considering one.

Also--if you'll accept used--there is a nice 16" with Tersa for buy it now $3500 on eBay located somewhere out east--I think in Mass. I thought it would have sold by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Grooved cast iron is my words.. I am talking about this finish..

{pic removed}

My old SCM bandsaw has that same surface .. I quite like it .
    A milled surface is an asset on these wider machines because it reduces the "sticking" that can happen when you get a truly flat board on the flat metal surface...pushing wide stock over the milled surface is SO much easier on the milled surface, but you do not sacrifice accuracy. Some machines are milled as was pictured (straight lines) and some have curved mill-marks. The end result is the same.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Greg, I went with the Nova slider. It's my first slider and works great for solid woods, which is all I work with. I'm moving forward with the 20" Nova jointer. I actually spoke with the owner of the 16" nova on ebay. It looks to be in good shape but I'd rather get the 20" for the longer tables. At $3,500 it won't be around long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A milled surface is an asset on these wider machines because it reduces the "sticking" that can happen when you get a truly flat board on the flat metal surface...pushing wide stock over the milled surface is SO much easier on the milled surface, but you do not sacrifice accuracy. Some machines are milled as was pictured (straight lines) and some have curved mill-marks. The end result is the same.

You ain't kidding! I worked with a 20" Tiawan import jointer for some years...bane of my existence...had those flat shiny mirror polished tables that some amateur new tool collectors seem to prize but actual wood workers know are evil....anything long over maybe 14" width took 2-3 guys to pull over the 4 knife terminus head. One guy pushing, one guy pulling, one guy in the middle playing hold down. When you have 3 mechanics working one board, and you bill those guys at $75/hour, in wood working terms, thats just plain old stupid. So you get the el cheepo chinois machine for $8.5K....great value yes? Until you figure out how much you've lost over the years in productivity with guys fighting those stupid cheap shiny flat tables, and realize the Martin is actually cheaper on a 10 year basis. So count me among the "mill my tables" crowd.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Ha! When I was in my 20's I bought a Minimax SC10 with a planed top and not knowing the difference I had the top ground smooth like my Powermatic. Silly me.......

Larry
    ROFL. I'll bet you thought back to that day every time you had to flatten a board, or spent many many hours trying to invent some sort of universal planer sled, didn't you?

That surface was known as cold planed in the old days. It was the preferred method of machining tables but more expensive. For those of us who buy used, it was particularly beneficial because you can easily spot the wear areas on the table. Most surfaces are ground with the circular swirl marks- sometimes called Blanchard grinding - but that may not always be the correct term. If you look at machines of various price points, there are huge differences in the quality of the grind. A few old machines were even planed with lines in both directions. Boards skated across those surfaces. Just a few machines sport planed surfaces anymore. Most quit doing that in the 90s or went out of business. Dave

Thanks to David Kumm for that "cold planed" term. I have referred ,in error, to it as hand scraped.

Yup, if anyone is curious there are a couple vids on youtube of large parts being planed. It's actually pretty impressive to see the size machine required to do something as large as a jointer table. Gives you a new appreciation for those tables and why it's not done on inexpensive machinery.

jeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Stahl View Post
    Just one more thought--the current SCMI Nova jointers will accept the mortiser SCMI/MM offers. I don't know what it costs--but I have been considering one.

Also--if you'll accept used--there is a nice 16" with Tersa for buy it now $3500 on eBay located somewhere out east--I think in Mass. I thought it would have sold by now.
    Gregory, I went forward with the Nova jointer. Do you know where I can see the mortiser in action or more info on it? thanks so much.

I think there is a section in the manual about the mortiser with a bunch of pictures showing set-up and use. I can't remember which forum, but if you do some searching there are several posts for the mortiser being used on the 16" j/p. I think it is the same basic design, but the bolt pattern to mount to the F520 might be larger. Someone had one in the classifieds a year or so ago. I wanted to buy it but his measurements did not match my machine so I didn't risk it.

You bought a nice slider--SCMI makes great machines.

Greg