Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirka sander

Thanks to all for the input. I'm sure this a great sander, but I just cant see spending nearly $500.00 for a finishing sander. Maybe a professional business can justify it, I don't know. I think what bothers me the most is the idea that this company has a patent on a great product and has decided to maximize it profit margin. I am not convinced this item cost them that much more to make than say the Bosch sander and it probably wont last six times as long.

A few years ago I bought a Festool router. I like it a lot, maybe a little better than my Elu, but its quality does not appear to be that much better and it is not that much better to use than my other routers. In reflection I would not buy it again for the money I paid. Each to his own

The Bosch 1250 is a 6" sander while the Festool RO90 is a 3" sander. Hardly a fair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post
    The Bosch 1250 is a 6" sander while the Festool RO90 is a 3" sander. Hardly a fair comparison.

Sorry got my numbers mixed up

I believe the Bosch 1250 6" is as good as the Festool RO 150 6" and is half the price

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1250DEVS...rds=bosch+1250

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-571810...=1418583967912

I used my belt sander with a sanding shoe to work on big panels (no room in my garage for a drum sander,) but it was a big two-handed affair. My Ceros is one-handed and more comfortable for long periods. I've got sanding grits from 40-320, which go from scary aggressive (Abranet HD 40 grit) to nice and smooth. As my poor man's drum sander, I bought the 6" Ceros rather than the 5" to do like John said above "more work with less time." Again like I said, I truly hate sanding, and will pay just about any price to make it more comftable.

If you have a big enough compressor (5 HP 60 gallon minimum) get a Dynabrade or two and never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Holy cow, that's a great price! At that price, the decision is a no-brainer.

No kidding!!.

Ken - you are absolutely killing me here.........

Arrrgh..........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    I debated about the Ceros until I found it on sale for $350. I love the sander. Much better than my Festool. Woodworkers Shop shows a limited inventory for $350 - http://woodworkersshop.com/ceros5com...bitsander.aspx
    Has anyone actually tried this? I bought one here 6 months ago, after it was OOS, but they shipped. Today I tried again and it seemed to work, though I didn't try to actually pay for it.

BTW I was quite disappointed by it. It certainly vibrated less than my old PC333, but not so little as to justify the price. I also found the dust collection to be terrible, so I sold it for about what I paid for it. I know most of you find it to be vibration free with wonderful dust collection, but that wasn't my experience. Maybe the $350 ones are seconds. .

Anyhow, I tried a $170 Bosch Bosch ROS65VC-5. It is near vibration free, powerful, with great DC. It is also big and heavy. But nothing is perfect. Maybe I should try a Festool...

I have one of these along with a couple of Festools. I mostly use this on vertical surfaces because of the light weight. It's a pretty robust tool.

Some people don't like the separate power supply, but that's what gives it the light weight.

Mirka is a pretty big name in automotive applications.

The mirka ceros is really in a class of its own relative to electric sanders. To me it is worth every penny they are charging. Which is why convinced my employer to buy 2. I'd love to have one for the home shop, but I've yet to acquire the finances, so its a festool there. I understand the reluctance to go there, thats reality. Most of the consumer grade ROS (and I've had the misfortune to try a lot of them) on the market are just junk. Oh, the wheels on the bus go round and round......but thats about it. They vibrate, they swirl, very unpredictable in tight spaces, add some vacuum and they go crazy jittering this way and that. I'm no stranger to sanding, mostly had used dynabrade previously at other shops, the electric ROS's Ive used have been by necessity at job sites, they are really really hard to control. And durable? Not when you use them for hours at a clip daily in a multi person shop. They may last longer at home....unfortunately. The mirka is balanced like a pneumatic, really really balanced, tons of power, can't stop it and I've tried. Its so smooth in use its hard to compare to other sanders, and equally important it is highly maneuverable in tight spaces. All this translates to better surface quality which to me is the ultimate goal. To me this means I can sand post assembled cabinets right into corners and not risk a runaway that gauges the adjacent panel, I can sand counter edges, door edges, and of course all the more traditional broad flat areas like door panels, rails and stiles, etc. Does pretty well on curves too. As a professional building custom cabinets, I can't risk ruining a multi thousand dollar box with a bad sanding job. Ever use a dark stain to highlight the sanding swirls from a cheap ROS? The repair cost on a few minor problems quickly out ways the cost of the mirka.

I've found the dust collection to be very good, deep in the acceptable range, not actually as good as festool, better than some others, can't understand how anybody would have a problem with the DC performance, would have to see it to believe it. So no, the mirka is not worth 6X the cost of most other sanders, its worth 10X at least and I wouldn't trade it for 10 of anything else I've tried. We had reached a point where the results from a few brands I wont mention were deemed no longer acceptable and the management was committed to improving the efficiency and performance of the sanding program immediately. We looked at the cost of upgrading our pneumatic system, running a larger compressor, cost of pneumatic sanders, all in it was considerably greater than a few ceros. And they are portable which helps on job sites. None of this may make an argument for the home user to switch. I suggest you try one before forming an opinion though. I was skeptical. First time I tried one was at my local woodcraft... must have thought I was nuts. They had a display set up and I sat there sanding the same little block of wood for 25 minutes, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing, I wanted to see if it could go a while, sometimes I'm sanding virtually non stop for several 8 hour shifts in a row. Its just so much more tool than anything else.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel