Thread: Installing chair rail on a wall with metal studs

Installing chair rail on a wall with metal studs

My wife and I purchased a condo in Florida. Of course, she wants a chair rail in the hallway. The walls are studded with metal studs and I am not sure what would be a good way of putting the chair rail on the walls. A fellow I know used construction adhesive but I am not sure that is the best solution Has anyone ever had any experience doing this and, if so, what method did you use. As usual, thanks for any suggestions.

If you use a 2 piece you can screw the backer to the studs and nail the top piece to the backer.

Tony

This type chair.
    stacked-chair-rail.gif.png
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 12-23-2014 at 5:59 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

If the trim is to be painted then trim screw would be simple and secure, just fill the holes, caulk and paint over. Stain grade work is best applied with nails into backers not ideal for pre-existing metal stud walls. Edit...Good suggestion on a built up trim.
    Last edited by Roger Nair; 12-23-2014 at 6:04 PM.

How about trim head screws, then fill the holes like you would nails.

http://www.rockler.com/trim-head-squ...ws-select-size
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I've installed miles of chair rail on metal stud walls I use trim head screws and fill holes with appropriate filler.

I will be painting the rail. The trim head screws is a good suggestion. I will have a few areas where I may not be able to screw into a stud. The wall "boxes" out about 3 inches in two spots which I will have to go around but I may be able to use construction adhesive to hold the pieces on those spots. Thanks for the suggestions.