Thread: Trench drain grating

Trench drain grating

I have a trench drain in my shop. It is 9" wide by 16' long by 1 1/2" deep. The steel bar grating is rusty and looks terrible. Anyone have any suggestions on something different to cover the trench drain?

Plastic. I use Norva Plastics for my plastic as the are knowledgeable and have everything. Alro Steel is out in you're area and have a plastics division as well.

Stainless would be expensive.

Larry

You could paint it.

Kirk

I recommended that it get sand blast and powder-coat if cars do not drive across it

I don't want to paint it again. I had the grates sandblasted, then I painted them three years ago. The salt from the snow melting off the cars takes its toll. Some kind of plastic grate is what I am looking for, but can't find anywhere to buy something like that.

You will probably have to make your own. There are plastics that are strong enough and can be worked with woodworking tools. Call Norva, they have always been very helpful for me.

Larry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Adams View Post
    I don't want to paint it again. I had the grates sandblasted, then I painted them three years ago. The salt from the snow melting off the cars takes its toll. Some kind of plastic grate is what I am looking for, but can't find anywhere to buy something like that.
    Fiberglass grating is readily available, a bit pricey perhaps, but it is strong and will not rust. Fibergrate is a manufacturer and Grainger, McMaster Carr and others sell it. You can cut it with power tools.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute