Thread: Harbor Freight lathe 65345

Harbor Freight lathe 65345

Has anyone found a link type belt to replace the original one that is on the HF 65345 lathe, or do i have to take the headstock apart...?

Not familiar with the model number but, if that's the Reeves drive variable speed lathe like the Grizzly, the belt is a standard "v" belt 3/8" wide. I don't think that a link belt will be a good choice due to the Reeves set up. I keep a spare for my Grizz, and it is a Bando Duraflex GL # 3L-240.
    Set the drive to the highest speed and you can roll the old belt off and the new one on.
    I was not about to try to compress the springs for belt change 'cause I only have 2 hands.
    Hope this helps.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Think that is a 4 speed pulley type lathe... Yep, pretty much need to partially pull the spindle to change belts. Personally I would not do a link belt on it!

Just looked at the manual online for that lathe. That's a 10" x 18" "mini lathe," right? Stepped pulleys, no Reeves drive, so a linked belt may work o.k. I see your issue, as the manual gives no direction on changing the belt, and it's not apparent from the exploded views. If you haven't already done it, I'd put in a quick call to HF technical support and ask them if there's a way to do it without tearing it down.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Just looked at the manual online for that lathe. That's a 10" x 18" "mini lathe," right? Stepped pulleys, no Reeves drive, so a linked belt may work o.k. I see your issue, as the manual gives no direction on changing the belt, and it's not apparent from the exploded views. If you haven't already done it, I'd put in a quick call to HF technical support and ask them if there's a way to do it without tearing it down.
    I can see that the headstock would have to torn apart to replace the belt. Thats why i was hoping i could get a link type belt. Now i measured the width of the belt that is on there now and it appears to be 5/16 wide. The only link type belt i have found is either 3/8 or 1/2 inch.

Is there a source for something for this size...?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bylin View Post
    I can see that the headstock would have to torn apart to replace the belt. Thats why i was hoping i could get a link type belt. Now i measured the width of the belt that is on there now and it appears to be 5/16 wide. The only link type belt i have found is either 3/8 or 1/2 inch.

Is there a source for something for this size...?
    I didn't see anything in a quick look online, which I'm sure you've done as well. That's going pretty narrow for a link belt.

I stopped in HF today to pick up a maintenance charger and happened to see the 10" x 18" up close. Doesn't look like a big job to remove the headstock handwheel, loosen the stepped pulley set screw(s) and tap the spindle out of the bearings. Not the greatest design, for sure. I'd still call HF tech support for their input. I'm sure you're not the first with the issue.

Thanks for all the replies. Just couldnt find a link belt that would work, so i ordered two new belts and will take the headstock apart and installmthem. Thanks again!