Thread: What's a good source for plans?

What's a good source for plans?

I need a couple of sets of plans.
    One is for a bread box and the other is for some kind of charging station for cell phones and tablets.
    I do plan on making other stuff too down the road.

Is there a reasonable source for plans on the internet where I can download them as needed?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I don't know of a single source, but if I were you I'd just google something like "cell phone charging station woodworking plans" and go from there. The image search can help too.

Like Matt stated do a Google search and I am sure you can find some.

When I get an idea I want to build something I will do a Google search on images and then see if I can find one I like.
    Then I will make my own plans, for me making the plans is one of the things I like about woodworking. You can build your own things and they are just what you wanted and not what someone else wanted.

I do use plans now and then but most times I will change them to fit them to what I want and like. If you Google woodworking plans most of the woodworking magazine have an area for plans.

Good Luck....

Popular Woodworking has an "I Can Do That" section for plans. I don't know if they have a charging station.

+1 on Bill's suggestion (find a picture of one you like and make your own design)

I'm fortunate that my employer uses Solidworks and has a "home use" program do I can use Solidworks on my laptop at home.

If I didn't have Solidworks, I'd try Google Sketch up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Like Matt stated do a Google search and I am sure you can find some.

When I get an idea I want to build something I will do a Google search on images and then see if I can find one I like.
    Then I will make my own plans, for me making the plans is one of the things I like about woodworking. You can build your own things and they are just what you wanted and not what someone else wanted.

I do use plans now and then but most times I will change them to fit them to what I want and like. If you Google woodworking plans most of the woodworking magazine have an area for plans.

Good Luck....
    I tend to follow Bil's method. I look at something like a charging station and think: "that's OK but my xxxxx is not exactly like that so if I change A or B, it will work."

Like the others, I would look for photos of what I want to make and work out my own plans. Whether you do it with pencil and paper, SketchUp (hasn't been Google for three years or so) or Solidworks, you probably know enough about woodworking to sort out the details such as material thickness and appropriate joinery so you can create enough of a plan to take to the shop.

I've used freewoodworkingplan dot com when looking for plans that I haven't seen before. Once you find a similar plan to what you want you can modify it to your liking.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

This is from the Wood Whisperer:

http://youtube/cefywPhPphg

(don't laugh)

Pintrest. If you see something with attributes you like, roll your own plans.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Plansnow.com are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ryall View Post
    (don't laugh)

Pintrest. If you see something with attributes you like, roll your own plans.
    No laughing here - that's how I found a simple pot rack design that I liked. Built one for my wife a couple Christmases ago.
    ~Garth

Avoid "Ted" or anyone hawking 16,000 woodworking plans cheap...

In addition to searching for pictures of likely candidates, you might also hit upon something you can use like perhaps this.

Google images here........I'll sit for what seems like hrs staring at this or that,usually a machine(right now am studying tenoners),then like posted above make adjustments twds what works better for our shop.

Still using an old school drafting table.And to it's justice......it is clean at any given time.Meaning there isn't one thing on it that dosen't belong.BUT,the WIP won't hit that until there's been dz's of conceptual drawings done.Just a nice,easy way for us here.......it helps one job to flow into the next.

Blog Entries
    For bigger projects I have used plans right out of Wood magazine (router table, storage hutch) or plans from American Furniture Design (mission bed, computer hutch). I'm not much into design, I tend to let some one else do that step.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-14-2015 at 9:06 AM.
    NOW you tell me...