Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching a power tool safety course

It might be wise to mention that there are millions of shop scenarios that can result in a trip to the ER and that your tips are by no means comprehensive. In essence, not all accidents are human error. Issues with the tool or material can occur. Expect the unexpected.

Quite frankly I like having a phone in the shop. After falling backwards off a two story house I was able to call 911 with my cell phone. If I didn't have it I could have laid in that ladies yard all afternoon before anyone found me. I landed hands first and after my wrists gave out my face was able to break the fall. Luckily no permanent damage and now my wife never asks me to hang Christmas lights.

2. Mark,
    I used to teach the Introduction to Safety class for all of the new members at a members woodshop in Philadelphia. The class covered safe use of the jointer, planer, compound sliding miter saw, drill press, bandsaw, and router table. The class was only 6 hours and it was always a struggle to make it to the end with covering all of the safe operation and allowing each member to practice safe operation with a scrap piece of wood. We originally tried including the tablesaw, router, mortiser, and several other machines, but it quickly became overwhelming for the students and they retained virtually no information from the class. The big thing I learned from the sessions, was to keep it simple, highlight the major 1 or 2 safety issues, and briefly discuss how to safely process material with each machine. Write out a plan on paper with time goals for each step. Have someone with a watch in the background keeping track of time. I think it's very easy for us to get off tangent and having that person in the background keeping you in check is very beneficial.

And finally, use your war stories sparingly. We all have them, and references to three-finger charlie are sure to bring a chuckle, but by bringing up those stories, you focus on one single instance of negative behavior. I've found this detracts from the broader goal of highlighting the key 'good' safety concepts and proper operation.

Hope this helps and good luck with the presentation.
    -Paul

Our Guild (Kansas City Woodworkers' Guild) has a Safety Orientation for all members wanting to use the facilities. We focus on a safe working environment, and the particulars for each of the stationary tools, there is also a test over our safety sheets for each machine. This class is for exposure not proficiency. We do have a half day Rough to Ready class that takes the student from rough lumber 4x4 to finished box 1 or 2 students in a class. We also have a 15 week (1 night a week) Intro to Machine Woodworking class that follows the more traditional woodshop class.

Students should never fear a machine, that will cause them to perform operations with hesitation. They need to have a respect for the tool and know what can result from their lack of attention.
    Chuck

Blog Entries
    I would emphasize that you never ever, lower a piece of wood onto a moving blade on a table saw. If you need to make a plunge cut on a TS, raise the blade to the height needed. Clamp a backer block behind your piece to be cut, then lower the blade below the table top counting how many turns of the raise/lower crank it takes to get the blade below the table surface. Then place your work on the saw, start the saw and slowly raise the blade back up the same number of turns. Push the piece through the cut, then turn off the saw and let it come to a complete stop before attempting to remove the work piece.

Never try to flick away small pieces of scrap from near the blade, even with a guard in place.

Never use a cross cut guide and a fence at the same time.

When cutting sheet goods, never cross cut a piece with the narrow dimension against the fence.

Never free hand cut on a TS.

Use a ripping blade for rip cuts and a cross cutting blade for cross cuts.

Never cut with a damaged blade.

Never work with power tools when tired or frustrated. If you mess up a piece of work late in the day. Turn off the equipment and the lights and go do something else outside of the shop.

If a cut set up makes you nervous, find another way to make the cut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lot's of good advice here, thanks to all that responded.
    Mark
    Mark R