Thread: Affordable vfd?

Affordable vfd?

I'm considering buying an old delta 1460. If I do, then I know I will want to upgrade to a variable speed motor. Is there an affordable 1/2 hp setup out there? I checked Grainger, but all I find there is $800+ and I'm not even sure it is right.

Fyi- I know nothing about vfd. Thanks!
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Here are two reputable vendors:

http://dealerselectric.com
    http://www.factorymation.com

The Teco FM50 is a common choice. Further reading here:

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/VFD...Questions.ashx

I've been happy with the Teco JNEV series on my Powermatic 90 and alot of guys at the OWWM forum like the Teco 50 which is slightly less money. If you are going to upgrade the motor you will probably want to go larger than 1/2 hp because you lose power in direct proportion to the frequency drop. For example, a standard 1 hp 60 Hz motor will only put out 1/2 hp of power at 30 Hz. The other thing to consider is that a VFD that is rated for 1 hp will operate a 1/2 hp motor, but a VFD that is rated for 1/2 hp will not operate a 1 hp motor.

I bought my 3 phase motor (1 hp) and VFD drive (2 hp drive) from Automation Direct in Atlanta, GA about 4 or 5 years ago. Been very pleased with my system and Automation Direct was very helpful before and after the sale.
    Last edited by Dale Winburn; 12-04-2014 at 8:30 AM.

I've bought 2 from dealers electric and love them.

For a lathe or drill press were low end torque is a consideration stick with a sensor less vector drive like the Teco JNEV series. The FM50 is a simple volt/Hz, great for stuff that jut needs 3ph conversion like a table saw, jointer, planner etc, but lacks torque compensation at the low end.

MIke

Looks like a 1/2 VFD from Automation Direct is less than $120.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Blog Entries
    EBay,Allen Bradley might can do $50 or so for a good one

I'm running 2 Automationdirect VFD's and love them both. 2 hp 3ph and one 2hp 3ph motor from them and there very reasonably price from allot I've seen.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. Plans changed a little and I found a good deal on a powermatic 45 with the reeves drive. I'm gonna give that a chance before I upgrade, but the upgrade is likely coming.
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Bob keep the system greased and DO NOT pry on the pulley's.My General has been running good for around 15 or 16 years. I just changed it over to a VFD and 2hp 3ph motor but left the reeves drive in still running good and can go down to like 5 rpm now.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I bought an industrial sewing machine motor, 3/4HP to use on my old Delta. The only problem I have is it loses torque at the lower speeds but at he higher speed it does okay. There is another brand called Sew Quiet, that is not supposed to lose the torque, I have no experience with it, but it is only $200 on Amazon. Mine is a Consew brand, it cost me less than a $100 a few years ago, now they are about $130. It will go from 0 to 3000 at the turn of the dial, it also has reverse.

13. I bought a NOS discontinued Yaskawa 3.7KW on auction for $100.