Thread: Turning bats?

Turning bats?

Hey guys this is my first post in the turners forum, but I'm trying to figure some information out!

I haven't turned in ages, but I did do 8 years of woodworking in high school and did various things on a wood lathe. I'm wanting to produce 10-25pcs at a time of 14-18" baseball type bats. I really love the exotic colors of blue/green/red/orange, but standard walnut/ash/birch will be fine too. Is there anyone here that does contract type work for something like this or a large manufacturer that does? Or would I be better off buying a used lathe and doing this myself? I'll be laser engraving these for my other business.
    Epilog Helix 50 Watt
    MacBook Pro, VMware, Windows 8.1, CorelDrawX7, AutoCad13, PhotoShop CS6

Just search the internet. Hobby Lobby has 1" x 18" bats for 2.99. Probably not very impressive wood at that retail price so if you want to upgrade find a wholesaler with a pattern lathe. Turning them yourself would give complete control on the wood, size, shape, so maybe the best way to go. My quick search turned up numerous offers for custom engraved bats. My advice would be just purchase some already engraved and see if you can actually sell enough to make it worthwhile.

Seems like one of the companies that was trying to sell me a laser had a whole catalog of wood products for sale, bats included.

You guys have some good sources on the colored laminated wood turning stock? Maybe I can justify buying a lathe finally
    Epilog Helix 50 Watt
    MacBook Pro, VMware, Windows 8.1, CorelDrawX7, AutoCad13, PhotoShop CS6

Kit, be forewarned that the laminated wood is EXPENSIVE! Especially in the lengths your describing. For example, Craftsupplies has rolling pin blanks (16") at $22.90 each.

You might be better off in buying the bats at Hobby Lobby and dying them a solid color of your choice.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Kit, be forewarned that the laminated wood is EXPENSIVE! Especially in the lengths your describing. For example, Craftsupplies has rolling pin blanks (16") at $22.90 each.

You might be better off in buying the bats at Hobby Lobby and dying them a solid color of your choice.
    for $2.99 a bat, that's what I would do in his position! No way you can make them at that price.