Thread: "Cool Block" - Grizzly GO555LX

"Cool Block" - Grizzly GO555LX

I have the BS noted in the title & wonder if the cool blocks & mounting harrdware are available for this BS. Have not been able to find these through a Google search.

Have the same saw, and I've not seen such a change over. Had Cool Blocks on another BS and liked 'em really well.
    Keep us posted if ya find the info.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Call Grizzly. I ordered my G00555 with Cool Blocks. They are called "Guide Block Holders. The part number is P101900 5A

Cool Blocks are far superior to the Grizzly roller guides. They do a better job controlling the blade and are far quieter. Plus you will not damage the blade or the guides if the blade get out of alignment.
    Howie.........

This is ironic, as I JUST ordered the parts for this upgrade. There's references out there for this, but they can be confusing.

The guide block mount is Grizzly P1019005A (need two). That mount takes guide blocks that are 1/2" square cross section. Grizzly offers some blocks, but they are not the real Olson Cool Blocks. If you want the Cool Blocks, then the Olson PN you need is CB50050. I ordered from Highland Woodworking along with a Woodslicer blade and their internal PN for this block set is 486005.

You also need set screws to secure the blocks in the mount, Grizzly PSS03M (need two per mount, so four total).

Thanks Guys, I have to pursue this. From what I've read, I think the lubricated Cool Blocks are a better way to go.
    How are they to adjust, any gap at all between blade & block, or just touch contact? And how are they for narrow blades, like 1/8"?
    Last edited by Al Launier; 12-04-2014 at 2:13 PM.

"This is ironic, as I JUST ordered the parts for this upgrade."
    Chris, if you don't mind, how much did the Grizz guides and screws for the 0555 set cost?
    TIA.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Do cool blocks also replace the lower guides or upper only?

Sure, no problem, they cost around $25 total with shipping for two holders and four set screws.

I got the parts I mentioned previously a couple days ago, along with a Woodslicer blade. The Cool Blocks seem to be an improvement, at least in the sound level and fact that I don't have to worry about seized lower bearings anymore. However, as some have mentioned in other thread references, the P1019005A holders did not fit initially. They required about 0.030" to be filed off in order to fit in the saw.

Also, they don't hold the 1/2" blocks very well. One would figure that a block holder for a 1/2" block would be slightly larger than 1/2" so that the block slides smoothly back and forth. This is not the case, as the holders have probably 1/16" extra space around the 1/2" block. This means that you can't just slide the block to the desired position and lock down the set screw, because the block will move within the space as the set screw is tightened. This effect is pronounced on the right hand block, because I tried to position it on the bottom (because that's where the blade will push it), but the tightening of the set screw moves it up. I may have to come up with some shims to fill the space because this will get annoying.

One thought I had was that these problems are because I'm trying to retrofit a saw with parts not intended for it. That may be the case for having to file down the holder to fit in the saw, and that's not a big deal once you are done with it. However, these blocks came on the 1019 saw and the parts manual for that states 1/2" blocks.

Also, I couldn't re-install the depth adjustment nut. There's a groove on these holders to engage it, but the holders are too short for it to actually engage. This is with a 1/2" blade tracking on the top of the tire. This issue isn't such a big deal, and I do realize this is because the part wasn't intended for the G0555.

On a somewhat unrelated note, Grizzly sent me three hex-drive set screws (the ones I ordered) and one with a slot for a flat screwdriver. They are small parts and I'm sure one got mixed in the wrong bin, but also slightly annoying.

The Woodslicer blade worked great! A lot smoother surface than some of the other resaw blades I was using, so I'm happy about that.