Thread: How Do I Post Pics In Correct Orientation?

How Do I Post Pics In Correct Orientation?

When I posted a pic from my iPhone into a thread, it came out rotated like this
    image.jpg
    How do I get it into the correct orientation?

The jpeg Exif data is missing the orientation tag that describes which way you want the image displayed. You can correct this before posting by opening the image in PhotoShop Express within iOS.

image1.jpg

Either stand on your head, or lay on your side, to take the shot. Correct method aeries between Android, i5 and i6. Need to experiment.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

image.jpgnot sure what happened, but I posted the same as usual and it came out ok. ?

Thought I'd better try 2 pics and see...
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I think the trick for me was, I was putting pics on the same line. When I start each pic on a new line, then the pics come out correctly oriented.

This may, or may not, be relevant. I had people email me pictures from their iPhone and when I received them in email, the pictures were upside down. When I contacted the other person, they said that the pictures display correctly on their phone.

What I discovered is that the iPhone includes information about the orientation in the file, and applications that use that information will orient the picture correctly. Those that do not use the information do not orient the picture and it comes out the way it was taken. I proved this by taking pictures with my iPhone in different orientations and emailing them to myself. When I held the phone a certain way, the pictures came out properly oriented. When I held the phone in any other position, the pictures came out sideways or upside down.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    This may, or may not, be relevant. I had people email me pictures from their iPhone and when I received them in email, the pictures were upside down. When I contacted the other person, they said that the pictures display correctly on their phone.

What I discovered is that the iPhone includes information about the orientation in the file, and applications that use that information will orient the picture correctly. Those that do not use the information do not orient the picture and it comes out the way it was taken. I proved this by taking pictures with my iPhone in different orientations and emailing them to myself. When I held the phone a certain way, the pictures came out properly oriented. When I held the phone in any other position, the pictures came out sideways or upside down.

Mike
    Which was which in phone orientation vs pic orientation?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Which was which in phone orientation vs pic orientation?
    I don't remember now. I'd have to do the test again. I think it was one where I held the iPhone horizontally (that is, that orientation gave an upright picture in my email client).

If you have an iPhone, you can do the test yourself. Just mail the picture to your email from your phone. You only have to shoot four pictures and document in your email what the orientation was. I use MS Outlook and it does not look at the data in the picture to orient the pix. Your mail client may differ.

Mike

[I went and checked my notes. If you hold the iPhone horizontal, with the shutter button to the right, the pictures come out with the correct orientation in Outlook.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-29-2014 at 10:29 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Take the picture with your phone in the HORIZONTAL position. Not vertical.
    Smart phone pictures are meant to be viewed as you do a wide screen TV. So, take your pictures that way.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Test pic...
    image.jpg