Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tea Cabinet - Latest Project

Blog Entries

Tea Cabinet - Latest Project

This finally came to the top of my honey do project list. LOML has been wanting a tea cabinet for some time. She was requested to draw up her idea of what she wanted and where it would go. She hasn't done such, she does draw plans and usually more likely to do so than me. So this is what happened. My recent build of a Golden Mean Divider had me wanting to use it on a project. This hasn't had much documentation. An image of me cutting a dado with a chisel was posted in a thread about cross grain mortises.

Have been spending anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or two on it most days.

This is the main case with the crest rail sitting on top.

Case & Crest.jpg

There will be another on the bottom. It will be mounted with a screw in the top and bottom rail. It is for a light load of mostly boxes of tea. Candy has at least a dozen different tea blends she likes.

The 2X3 blocks with slots were used to hold the shelves in place while the side was put in place. This case is not yet glued. As usual at this time of year the shop is too cold to do a glue up. May use it as an experiment to see how long it can go with a door and no glue. Bound to be warmer if or when it fails.

The back is ship lapped re-sawn pine scrap.

My plan is to have molding on the top and bottom.

Case & Molding.jpg

A simple shape cut with a rabbet plane, a wooden round plane and a beading cutter in a Stanley #45.

My plan is to make a frame and panel door. Haven't decided yet whether to make a raised panel or do some carving.

Time will tell, details when they are done.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-06-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Cool stuff.

Blog Entries
    Nice work Jim!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Very nice. I wish I could get my wife to draw up what she wanted.

Mmmmm I can smell the fresh pine from here.Aj

Cool! You know it might look just right without a door.

Nice work!
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Hi Jim,

Nice work! I will be looking forward to the updates when you post them.

Stew

Jim,

How are you going to finish it? Milk paint, oil and wax or something else? BTW, nice project and one Pat would love to have. I gotta keep her away from the web or one more thing will be added to endless list.

ken

Blog Entries
    How are you going to finish it? Milk paint, oil and wax or something else?
    Since it is for the lady of the house, she has elected to give it a coat of ivory toned paint.

I like the idea of a light stain, but she gets to make the choice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I like it Jim!

Blog Entries
    Here is a little from today's work of cutting and installing the molding.

Here is my miter shooting set up:

Miter Shooting.jpg

It is my small shooting board with a block that has been cut to 45º. Some manipulation of the piece was needed. That involves lifting or a slight change in the angle.

Then the molding in place:

Corner Miter.jpg

I messed up on the cut when cutting the second miter and had to move over about a half inch. If it was cut properly the first time the grain would come very close to matching. Since SWMBO wants this painted it won't be seen.

Next a matching molding on the bottom, then a door and onto mounting the top and bottom crest/rails for mounting on the wall.

It looks great so far! I work a lot in pine and is seems like you do as well. It wold be more work, but I think split doors would look really nice. You'd probably want flat panels with doors that thin.

I must have missed the golden mean divider. Did you post it here?
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    It looks great so far! I work a lot in pine and is seems like you do as well. It wold be more work, but I think split doors would look really nice. You'd probably want flat panels with doors that thin.

I must have missed the golden mean divider. Did you post it here?
    My thought was to have double doors or split doors. The woman in charge said she wants a single door.

Here is the Golden Mean divider:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...at-s-in-a-Name

Further down in the thread is a link to the layout that was used.

jtk

Blog Entries

Finally on the Wall

So LOML wanted to paint the tea cabinet I built for her. So instead of the natural wood she wanted it white.

Then she wanted to put a clear coat on it. She felt the shellac I use is 'too glossy.'

So we went and she bought some satin finish spray lacquer. When we got home I read the package and noticed it should be used at 65º or warmer. So we turned on the heater (electric) to warm the house. Then the smell had us opening the doors and going out in the cold for a while.

She finally finished today so the tea cabinet is now up for business.

Tea Cabinet on Wall.jpg

And open with a few boxes of tea and a cup:

Tea in Cabinet.jpg

Looks like she will be buying a few more boxes of tea.

I intend to make some small covers for the mounting screw holes.

jtk

Blog Entries

Latest Tea Cabinet Build

This one was built pretty much the same as the original except a #16 round soled plane was used to raise the panel and blind nailing was used to mount the molding.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Blind-Nailing

Front view:

Tea Cabinet.jpg

Inside:

Inside Tea Cabinet.jpg

This is my third Tea Cabinet build. The second one's back didn't sit square so it is being used as a cabinet in the shop. My next one will likely switch to adjustable shelves with 1/4" pins for support.

The panel raising also needs to be better thought out.

jtk