Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Bases: Why always two fixed/two swivel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mobile Bases: Why always two fixed/two swivel?

Why aren't there any 4 swivel caster mobile bases out in the market place? All the ones I have seen have 2 fixed and 2 swivel. For very heavy equipment, this becomes a limiting factor, since you have to move your machine back and forth if you go in the direction not supported by the swivel. I remember having to steer my 8" jointer flush with a back wall, just as you would do it trying to parallel park a car in a tight spot.

I know swivel casters are more expensive than fixed ones, but I would gladly pay the difference for the convenience. Or is there any safety (tipping risk) or physics considerations (can't move it in a straight line because all wheels just swivel around) that make them not recommended?

Just wondering....

My only guess is,to stop the cart/base from going sideways (very much like Ikea shopping carts which drives me nuts),other than that ,I don't get it either,I have a small shop with a cracked floor,imagine going 7-8 times over the bumps back and forth so I can put a heavy jointer against the wall.

I just realized,another reason other than the higher cost of swivel casters,you will need 4 locking levers instead of 2.I would still pay the difference to get a comfortable mobile base .
    Last edited by ken masoumi; 12-05-2014 at 7:06 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

My Sawstop base has 4 swivels, and it is very well appreciated. To answer the question, the shopping cart comes to mind also.... LOL. I would much rather have 4 swivels than 2. I put 4 on my lathe, but everything else has only 2 and that is rather annoying, back and forth, back and forth to manuever into exactly where you want it. Oh sorry, you already know that..... Yeah, I don't get it either. At least they should offer an option to buy 4 or 2.

I built a cart for my 20 planer and 8 inch jointer. 4 X 4 construction with 1/2 laps and 4 casters with brakes. Planer was a PITA to move tipping the scales @ 900 lbs try rocking it to get all the wheels pointed in one direction. even then it would crab walk on ya. Made a handle to drag it that did work either.

The best I have seen was the mobility accessories that are offered by Luguna, MM, Felder etc. Jacks one side up with a Johnson bar the other side has fixed wheels. Beachside Hank (may have gotten his handle wrong) posted one he made for a lunch box planer convertible. I think he had a rigid OS mounted on the other side.
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 12-05-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Ha, my first thought was those darn Ikea shopping carts too! I was just there the other day and it was such a PITA to keep the cart moving forward in a straight line. haha

I think of it this way: if you have unlimited space, 2 swivel/2 fixed caster bases are far easier to maneuver. Like with a shopping cart, you steer by pulling one arm toward your body and/or pushing the other away from your body while pushing the cart forward. The two fixed casters, which are nearest to you, won't allow that end of the cart to roll sideways (or swivel), allowing the opposing force you're creating to translate into steering the front of the cart.

With 4 swivel casters, when you try to apply that lateral movement to steer it, the casters nearest to you will swivel. They don't allow you to apply the opposing force that makes the thing steer.

However, when you're limited on space, you may have no choice but to go with 4 swivel casters... because you may not have enough room to maneuver the cart otherwise (i.e., parallel park a machine vs just rolling it into its place).

So if I had a massive shop, I'd go with 2 swivel/2 fixed every time. If not, 4 swivels is a fair compromise, but it will be hard on your "core" because you'll need to rotate your torso while you push in order to steer the thing.
    Last edited by Peter Aeschliman; 12-05-2014 at 11:38 AM.

I have 2 drywall carts that I use for plywood, one has 2 swivel wheels, the other has 4.The one with just 2 swivel wheels drives me crazy, I would have never bought it if I knew ahead of time how hard it would be to maneuver around the shop with it.

you'd need to have the kind of casters that lock both roll and swivel to get a solid base. I'm pretty sure that even with that, the base when fully locked, would not be as stable. There is always some play.

And, I agree that 4 swivels would make rolling pretty difficult. Having 2 wheels in a fixed direction actually improves rolling stability.

The johnson bar approach provides more stability to the machine though it does require more space and you have to get the bar,move the tool and put the bar back. I use this for a shear/brake that weights about 450lbs. However, I find myself not moving it very much because it takes a bit more time and I am impatient. Easier to jack up one of the other tools and move it.

I build my own mobile bases, all with four swivels. The worst factory mobile base was on the 25/50 SuperMax, all four straight line casters. Try locating that in the average space deprived shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    I build my own mobile bases, all with four swivels. The worst factory mobile base was on the 25/50 SuperMax, all four straight line casters. Try locating that in the average space deprived shop.
    Now that is stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    Now that is stupid!
    That depends! I'm actually building a mobile base for my widebelt sander just like that (4 fixed wheels, all pointed in the side to side direction.) I plan on keeping the widebelt sander up against the wall when it is not in use. To use it, I need to pull it out from the wall about 30" to clear the tools next to it along the wall. When I'm done using it, it will roll back against the wall. I really only want it to move side to side along that line perpendicular to the wall. If a time comes when I need to move it in a different direction (rare), I'll be able to move it will a pallet jack between the casters on each end.

My HF engine hoist has 4 swivel casters. That thing has a mind of its own when I try to move it!

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    I just realized,another reason other than the higher cost of swivel casters,you will need 4 locking levers instead of 2..
    A piece of rope around the wheels, on the floor stops it from wandering.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Or an extension cord. . I make all of my moblie bases just so I can have all 4 wheels swivel. I have to fit my tools into a jig saw puzzle on 1 car portion of a 3 car garage when I m done for the day. Two fixed and 2 swivel wheels would make that very difficult.

just make some 45 cuts in ply like this. that what i use and there great

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    My only guess is,to stop the cart/base from going sideways (very much like Ikea shopping carts which drives me nuts),other than that ,I don't get it either,I have a small shop with a cracked floor,imagine going 7-8 times over the bumps back and forth so I can put a heavy jointer against the wall.

I just realized,another reason other than the higher cost of swivel casters,you will need 4 locking levers instead of 2.I would still pay the difference to get a comfortable mobile base .
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post

In my experience, Ken, I typically lock only ONE wheel under my Tablesaw or Jointer. On rare occasions I will lock two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Or an extension cord. . I make all of my moblie bases just so I can have all 4 wheels swivel. .
    Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    just make some 45 cuts in ply like this. that what i use and there great

The timing of this thread is perfect,I have 4 medium duty swivel wheels that I bought to make a mobile base but wasn't sure how to stop it from rolling temporarily,I like the ramp style chocks ,.or I can buy 2 lockable casters now that I know it will do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post
    Why aren't there any 4 swivel caster mobile bases out in the market place? All the ones I have seen have 2 fixed and 2 swivel.
    Just wondering....
    Lack of directional stability with heavy loads.

The best mobile bases are the semi-live skid designs with a tow bar.

You see them on European machinery a lot.

I make all my bases that way............Rod.