Thread: What the Chuck!?!?

What the Chuck!?!?

I've been wanting to add a second chuck to my arsenal for some time, and aren't sure which one. I currently use the Nova G3 and have no complaints. I've been eying the Supernova 2. At almost twice the weight, it claims good holding power. The price is a bit more, and this month Woodcraft has both on sale, I'm just wondering what the additional benefits are for the extra money. Anyone using it, or both that have done a side by side comparison? What other chucks are you guys using in that general price range? (Under $200)
    im basically looking for a second chuck to avoid changing jaws so often. I assume these 2 would have interchangeable jaws. I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!
    JP

2. If you will stay with the Nova line, then the jaws will be interchangable, which gives you more options in types of projects. I have several supernova's and a couple of Hurricane HTC chucks, which I also like very much. The Supernova will do most anything others will provided you have the right set of jaws on it. If you are going to do big turnings, I recommend the power grip jaws, if you are going to do mainly bowls then get a set of at least 100mm bowl jaws.......I have most of their jaw sets, because I do a lot of different types of forms, so versatility is important to me.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I've got 3 SuperNova 2's with different jaws and find them to work great for everything I need to do (occasionally purchasing a new set of jaws when the ones I have won't work). I don't think you can go wrong with the SN2 - the Woodcraft discount makes it hard to pass up!

I just bought a used OneWay Stronghold, mostly out of curiosity as I see them highly regarded here and elsewhere. It'll be used for the really big stuff.

research the hurricane chuck
    have heard good things about them

I have an original Nova chuck with various jaws for smaller work.

For the big stuff I am very happy with my Hurricane HTC125 chuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-75_m-zLk34

I have both and prefer the Alan wrench to the G3's chuck key. Happy with both. The ability to interchange jaws is a plus but might not be significant If you have one chuck with a big jaw set that does not get switched out.
    God is great and life is good!

Blog Entries
    Dad just picked up another Super Nova 2 for $160 on Amazon. Dad also favors the allen wrench to his Oneway Talon chuck keyed chucks. I only turn when I am visiting so I have no direct comments ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the replies guys, now you've got me looking at the hurricane too. Thanks for the video link Don.