Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Powermatic 3520 lathe

New Powermatic 3520 lathe

Looking for suggestions here. I bought a new Powermatic lathe in Nov 2013. I unexpectedly had to have back fusion surgery right after it was delivered, so its still sitting in my garage on the pallet. I need to somehow get it into my basement, down six stairs. This thing is heavy. I am elderly and only 5 foot 1 tall, and can barely walk, and do not know anyone that can help me get it in. I've thought of using a dolly, but don't think I can handle it. I cannot wait to try it, my Delta lathe is great but I want to step up to the PM3520.

Cheers fellow turners.

Mike

Mike, wish I lived close - I would gladly help with the setup. Perhaps some creekers close by will come to your aid. It is not a job you should attempt!

How about checking the AAW website. Maybe there is a chapter near you. Am sure some local turners will be willing to help.

Don't try to move it yourself. It's not worth the risk of injuring yourself, especially any more to your back. They aren't too bad to move once you break it down into smaller pieces, but you need a couple able-bodied people to help -- and that includes getting it assembled once it is inside, because you will need help with that too.

You could check around your local area for some people that may help for a small fee, such as come college students, church volunteers, etc. If none of those things work, you could always hire some movers or riggers. Real riggers would probably be very expensive and overkill for this, but there are often companies that will hire out a couple movers for jobs like this for not too much money.

Since it's on the pallet, it is probably still in the cosmolene. I assume your weather right now isn't too much different than mine, and things rust at light speed right now in the conditions in the garage. You might want to check it over and make sure it doesn't have any unprotected surfaces picking up surface rust.

Don't live close enough to help either but...

I am sure it would be a slow process but if you have or can borrow two or three or so of those ratcheting straps and hooks. I managed to do a lot of equipment moving and setup with just a couple of those ratcheting straps but I did not have a stairs to contend with. I am thinking maybe sliding the various crates by using the ratchets hook to each end and something stable. I am sure there is a way of doing it without too much strain on the body.

But as Ryan suggests able bodied help is the best bet.
    Last edited by James Combs; 12-01-2014 at 7:45 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

6. Have used '2 men and a truck' several times for such chores. Very reasonable in pricing. Only takes them a few minutes.

Good luck with your project.

Mike, I agree with everyone else, please don't try doing it yourself. I recently bought a 3520 also and as a relatively healthy 50-something, unloading and moving it was all I wanted and more. I ended up buying a one ton hoist and building a rig to lift and assembly the beast.

Everyone has suggested some good ideas. I hope you find some help and enjoy your lathe.

Definitely get help. Getting the bed and headstock down the steps is a job for a couple of strong backs and a hand truck as minimum based on my installation similar and then later having to move it up steps when I moved. There are several procedures for helping to set up the lathe you can find on line, but hopefully you can find a local club as suggested and there are often helpers willing to help other turners.

I just moved a new to me 3520b from the back of my car to the basement. Fortunately everything comes apart on the lathe and I as able to slide the bed down the stairs with some help from a friend. A Powermatic expert (Nick Cook) told me (after I had moved the headstock down) that the easiest way to carry it was with a piece of rebar that was inserted through the spindle and have two strong, young guys pick it up. My lathe's previous owner had a 2 x 12 mounted under the lathe in the slots that are in the legs. I stood the legs up with the 2 x 12 clamped on either end and then just put the bed on it and then screwed it all together. Once it is all together be sure to check that it is level.

I am sure that there are some turning clubs on the north side of Chicago and they should be able to find someone to help you out.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new lathe.

Good luck and happy holidays,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Permenter View Post
    Have used '2 men and a truck' several times for such chores. Very reasonable in pricing. Only takes them a few minutes.

Good luck with your project.
    That seems like a great idea, which would hopefully shift any liability for damage or injury to them. Stairs can be tricky, and every component on that lathe is very heavy.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Mike, for your own sakes, hire someone who is insured to be doing this type of work, otherwise, your opening yourself up to be sued by someone just looking for an quick and easy buck.
    Len

Try searching for an AAW chapter near you - http://www.woodturner.org/search/ -- there are several in Illinois; I'll bet you could call the closest one and they could rustle up a crew to come help you out by the weekend...

I would suggest contacting the Chicago Woodturners. Chicago Woodturners

www.chicagowoodturners.com/
    They have some members up your way and many have the experience and knowledge to set it up correctly. Great club with over 160 members

Member Illiana Woodturners

I would hire a professional to do get it to the basement and do the initial assembly.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Contact the local Boy Scouts a couple of 18 year olds will make that job easy.
    The may be able to get a badge. Usually very nice people. Good luck, I have
    that lathe and you will enjoy it. Kevin