Thread: Adhesive for mirrored acrylic, like for mirrored license plates

Adhesive for mirrored acrylic, like for mirrored license plates

I've searched and can't find a definitive answer.

I want to glue small and large pieces of laser cut mirrored acrylic onto a larger piece of mirrored acrylic.
    It's for a license plate that must be durable outdoors. The customer wants raised letters.

I have the Tesa tape someone had recommended to glue thin engraving plastic to license frames, but it doesn't seem to have the strength I need... plus it wouldn't be easy to apply.

I have used E6000 clear glue, and it sticks well, but after a while, little dips/variations show up where the glue is. I am sure the chemicals in it are eating into the mirrored coating.

I thought about mirror mastic, like from the big box stores, but I think it doesn't come in clear.

Do you have any recommendations of what kind to use?

Thanks!
    Amy
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

Loctite mirror adhesive dries clear, and I have seen it at Home Depot.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Great! Thanks, Joe! I'll look for it.
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

As for tape:

http://www.brontapes.com/product/bt-...ted-pvc-tapes/ ---I've been buying this for years. Not once ever have I had, or heard of, this stuff failing. I save my used self-stick postage label 'slick-backs' for when I need to cut shapes out of the tape, I just apply some to the slickback and laser cut the tape...

For something other than tape:

-- 3 years ago I used some of this stuff to glue the edges of a 10' x 12' sheet of EPDM rubber roofing to the fiberglass roof on our houseboat. I expected it to be a temporary fix, but 3 summer and winters later exposed to full weather and it's still holding like the day after I used it. I also used this to glue up some broken fittings on top of our 'non-glueable' water tank at the same time, still holds with no leaking. For less than $5 for a tube, it's worth a try...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle