Thread: Stanley Spokeshave 151

Stanley Spokeshave 151

I have a Stanley Spokeshave 151 that I feel is in very good shape except. . .
    There are two screws that hold the iron and chip-breaker/cap-iron together. The screw closer to the cutting bevel is there but the upper on, a thumb-screw, that applies tension on the end of the cap-iron, is guess its a cap-screw, where it cutting edge of the iron is missing. I have tried several machine screws, 8-32, 10-32, 10-24 and several meteric screws. None seem to fit (unless the threads inside the cap-iron is bad, they appear to be good). I even took it to a machine shop hoping they could tell me the screw size. The screw size they told me doesn't seem to work.

This is the question. What is the thread size of the cap-screw that does the same thing as the cap-lever on most Stanley planes?

Mike

Stanley used lots of non-standard screws in their tools. You might try contacting Stanley. Maybe you'll get lucky and there will be some NOS screws laying around.

When I get stuck with one of those odd sizes, I take it to the Home Despot and use their little thread matching display. I usually find that I've gotten the size right, but a different thread pitch. I use my tap and die set to size screws and bolts, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Gooding View Post
    Stanley used lots of non-standard screws in their tools. You might try contacting Stanley. Maybe you'll get lucky and there will be some NOS screws laying around.
    +1 to Casey

Stanley was indeed a nonconformist. Might try eBay.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

My screw gauge doesn't fit the thread but the diameter is .0180" or 4.6 mm.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7