Thread: Personal Finance software.

Personal Finance software.

Years ago I used MS Money.
    What Personal Finance software do you use?
    I know Mint is popular but don't like the idea of my info online.
    Looking for something simple to keep track of account balances.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I used MS Money up until about 3 years ago when MS "sun-setted" that program. I switched to Quicken. I am familiar with Intuit products since I have used Quickbooks for almost 20 years, but for my personal finance I always preferred MS Money. When MS decided to get out of the personal finance software business Quicken was the natural choice for me. There were some things about Money I prefer over Quicken (home inventory, tracking investment accounts, etc...) but it is satisfactory for my needs.

I still use MS Money - it just doesn't have the ability to go out on the internet and connect with my banks to download transaction history.

I use Gnucash - roughly similar to QuickBooks. It is open source available from sourceforge. It is a double entry accounting pkg; takes a little bit to get the hang of it. I use it for business and even write customer billing.
    .....joe

Thanks for all the info so far.
    I did find that MS has a free download "Money Plus Sunset Deluxe" MS Money without the online features.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quicken for Windows...I've been a Quicken user since about version 2 decades ago. In fact, it's the only reason I have Windows available on my iMac. (The Mac version of Quicken, um...err...well...is inadequate. It can't even do loan amortizations)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I switched to Quicken after Money was discontinued. It wasn't easy at first, but I'm used to Quicken now after using it for a number of years. The online downloading of account data is very important to me so I had to quit using Money.

Much as I love to hate it, I use Quicken, and have since it first came out. I wish there were a better alternative, but unfortunately they have no significant competition any more so bugs reported 10 years ago remain unfixed and they extract more money from you every three years for a "new version" that typically only obfuscates some functionality or adds useless graphics as they milk it as a cash cow. There have been no actual improvements in the last decade. I also run Parallels on my Mac to allow me to use the Windoze version.

Quicken here and for many many years. I'm also a diehard Turbo Tax user.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I use my wife. "Here some money, honey, let me know if any of it is mine."

She uses Quicken for personal and Quickbooks for my cabinet biz. I used to use Quicken, but with her being an accountant, I just stand back. I couldn't tell you if I'm rich or flat broke! Thomas Gray was right.
    -Lud

Found this program on a personal finance forum. Moneyble Personal Finance (Google it for link)
    Any experience with this?
    - Rick Dale

Clear checkbook. Hands down the best. I used all of these as a personal finance geek and this little web based programs rocks.

I've seen recommendations for this, never used it.

http://moneydance.com/