Thread: Yet another VFD control question GE AF60-LP

Yet another VFD control question GE AF60-LP

Am having very good experience with these GE VFDs (have upgraded from running Huanyang).
    However, haven't figure out how to get the external switch to work. Just want an on/off.

I've been using a big paddle type switch on the other VFDs... lift to run, slap it off to stop.

Am having some difficulty understanding what the manual is calling for here...

Should I be able to put my switch between 12 and 18, and then wire 42 to 60 (or 53 to 50)
    Seems like I should, but isn't working. Any wisdom on this?

Can you post the entire part number for the VFD, so I can search for a manual? There might be a catch listed somewhere else in the manual. For my VFD (Toshiba S9 series) the start command was actually momentary but that was stated elsewhere. I would stick with the 50-53 connection. Again there might be a gotcha with 42-60. Is there a front panel interface for changing and setting parameters?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Can you post the entire part number for the VFD, so I can search for a manual? There might be a catch listed somewhere else in the manual. For my VFD (Toshiba S9 series) the start command was actually momentary but that was stated elsewhere. I would stick with the 50-53 connection. Again there might be a gotcha with 42-60. Is there a front panel interface for changing and setting parameters?
    Front panel programs easily. I've searched through all the parameters looking for control wire enablement like there are on the Huanyangs.
    The manual says the "auto" button on the front should be selected, which works fine.

There are also four dip switches that control whether lines are configured "PNP" or "NPN", which seems to affect how the control lines are configured.

Perhaps does the 50-53 connection need to also be configured as momentary? It wouldn't have killed them to put a setup example in the darn manual!

Ah ha! Half way there. Basic mistake... had the switch between +24 and the start control wire, rather than from start control to gnd.

Also, the auto switch does in fact control whether external control switches or the pad is being used. Very nice that this is a front panel feature rather than programmed like the Huanyang.

So, now the motor starts but runs at minimum RPM. I would have thought that tying the reference to gnd would have created max RPMs. But, I'm definitely further along.

I would try a three wire potentiometer between 50-53-55 as shown. It doesn't surprise me that 0=min RPM, failsafe if the speed signal is lost. I would use the potentiometer to increase the voltage from 0 VDC to 10VDC. Safer than connecting directly to 10VDC. If you don't have a pot, use a group of resistors to achieve a mid-range voltage and 10VDC - 0VDC current of not more than 10mA. (10mA=10V/1k).

In regards to terminal 18, is DIP switch 2 ON thus in NPN mode and therefore inverting the picture?

Watch out for the switches section in 3.5 just below the picture you posted above. The picture you posted ASSUMES all dip switches are OFF.
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 11-29-2014 at 5:10 PM.

Ok, so I got it working, but I'm not sure exactly why. Some experimentation got me a solution.

First of all, DIP 2 must be ON, or the connecting 18 to 20 (GND) had no effect.

I got the 1K ohm pot today (per the diagram), connecting it to 50-53-55 as you suggested (and again as the diagram shows).
    No effect, motor would only run at minimum speed. This is after I set the minimum speed to 65hz... it would only run at 5Hz (barely turning over - does seem like some safety/fault mode).

On a intuition, I connected the 18/20 pair to 53... and... yipee... full speed.
    So, I have a solution, but I'm not sure (based on the documentation) why this works

With DIP2 ON you have it in NPN or Logic '0' mode, thus connect 18 to 20 to make it run. Set DIP2 OFF and 18 to 12 for Logic '1' mode and connect to 24 to make it run.

According to the schematic for the VFD you are applying 24VDC to a 10VDC input. That could be an issue.

Is there 10VDC on 50 when measured from terminal 50 to 55?

What happens if you connect 53 to directly 50? 53 to 55?

Is switch 4 on our off? What is parameter 6-19 set to per page 46? Per page 16 Switch 4 and parameter 6-19 must match.

With DIP2 ON you have it in NPN or Logic '0' mode, thus connect 18 to 20 to make it run. Set DIP2 OFF and 18 to 12 for Logic '1' mode and connect to 24 to make it run.

According to the schematic for the VFD you are applying 24VDC to a 10VDC input. That could be an issue.

Is there 10VDC on 50 when measured from terminal 50 to 55?

What happens if you connect 53 to directly 50? 53 to 55?

Is switch 4 on our off? What is parameter 6-19 set to per page 46? Per page 16 Switch 4 and parameter 6-19 must match.
    Switch 4 is off. Parameter 6-19 is set to 0 (voltage mode).
    Changing nothing else, connecting 53 to 50 or 53 to 55 do nothing... still runs at 5hz.

I have 10V between 50 and 55.

Ok, so this wasn't making sense.
    I went and reset the dip switches to be sure they were set properly and fully all to off.

Connected 12 to 18 only (nothing on 50/53/55) and it now runs like a champ! Which is practically the first thing I tried. Argh.
    I think the dip switches must not have been seated firmly. Or, operator error of extreme proportion, which is not out of the question.

Anthony... very much appreciate your persistent assistance. I'll owe you a coffee and pastry of your choice :-) anytime you are in Seattle.

-Bob

Bob,

You're welcome. That's why we are all here. VFDs are interesting. There are a ton of parameters and notes, once you find all the correct settings, they work great.

The picture on the cover of the manual shows a knob on the front of the VFD. Do you have one? Does it have any effect when you turn it?

How are parameters 3-15, 3-16 and 3-17 set on page 45?

On page 21, there is a reference to the VFD being in HAND or AUTO. Which mode have you been working with?

I would also check all the 6-1x parameters (6-10 through 6-19) and check to see if they are the defaults per pages 45 and 46.

Anthony

Bob,

You're welcome. That's why we are all here. VFDs are interesting. There are a ton of parameters and notes, once you find all the correct settings, they work great.

The picture on the cover of the manual shows a knob on the front of the VFD. Do you have one? Does it have any effect when you turn it?

How are parameters 3-15, 3-16 and 3-17 set on page 45?

On page 21, there is a reference to the VFD being in HAND or AUTO. Which mode have you been working with?

I would also check all the 6-1x parameters (6-10 through 6-19) and check to see if they are the defaults per pages 45 and 46.

Anthony
    3-15, 3-16, 3-17 all at defaults.

If I run in HAND mode the variable speed knob works great. I have to have it in AUTO mode for the external switch to work.
    This is consistent with the docs.

Guessing that you can't run the VFD in a mode where the on/off switch is remove but the variable speed knob on the VFD itself works.
    This suits me fine in any case.

All the 6-1x parameters are also set to defaults.

BTW, I just added the braking resistor. Stops smoothly now in three seconds, which is important to me as the model DW20 I have does not have a foot brake.
    Best the VFD could do on this saw was about 30 seconds without it.

I went to a bit of trouble to find a resistor that was the same ohm rating as the GE factory one, but now that
    I set it up I see the VFD is configurable. I got a $40 one off ebay... 1000W/110ohm. Works great!

If you are in auto, the external potentiometer has no effect?

What if you changed 3-15 to [21] to use the keypad potentiometer? 3-16? 3-17?

What are your thoughts on setting parameter 7-20 to use analog input terminal 53? It is described as 'CL' which I take to mean closed loop. I'm not sure how the schematic on page 18 with the potentiometer on firgures in with the term 'closed loop'.
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 12-03-2014 at 12:31 PM.

If you are in auto, the external potentiometer has no effect?

What if you changed 3-15 to [21] to use the keypad potentiometer? 3-16? 3-17?

What are your thoughts on setting parameter 7-20 to use analog input terminal 53? It is described as 'CL' which I take to mean closed loop. I'm not sure how the schematic on page 18 with the potentiometer on firgures in with the term 'closed loop'.
    Brilliant! Setting 3-15 to 21 gives me the front panel adjustment AND the external switch!