Thread: How Many Wipe-on Coats of Waterlox?

How Many Wipe-on Coats of Waterlox?

I am finishing a hard maple dining table. After a seal coat of cut shellac and a few more coats of thinned shellac colored with Transtint I am now applying the top coat. So the question is how many coats of Waterlox Sealer and Finish should I wipe on? The can recommends three coats but they do not mention by which application method. I have read on this forum that it roughly takes three wipe on coats to equal one brushed. So should I wipe on nine? I prefer not to build up anything too thick but need protect the table from whatever food or drink that gets spilled. Thanks.

For a finish that is thinned enough to properly wipe on, the "3 for 1" ratio of wipe to brush is about right. So 12 wiped on coats for best protection.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I usually apply 5-7. At that point, once it looks good I stop before I screw things up.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

My experience exactly. I tend to apply fewer coats. It doesnt take much to protect against stains. The best protection imho is to wipe them up quickly.

Blog Entries
    I like to work up to the point where it is developing a glazed look then stop since it will flatten out pretty quickly.

I've only finished one table with enough waterlox to truly waterproof it, and it took a lot! I literally poured it on and let it dry.

For a dining table I built earlier this year I took the approach of pouring it on and rubbing it in with a rag. Did this 2-3 times, let cure for about a week and then went over with a 2-3 heavy coats of wax. It still has a 'hand rubbed' look and does not look plastic-y. It wears well, but a sweaty glass with still leave a ring.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

If you use Arm-R-Seal instead of Waterlox you will only need to apply 3 or 4 coats. Arm-R-Seal and Waterlox are both about 34% solids in the can. You don't have to thin Arm-R-Seal to wipe it on, it's already formulated as a wipe on finish. Waterlox is too thick to wipe on so you have to thin it; that's why it takes more coats to get the same build. FWIW P&L 38 also is about 34% solids and you'd be in the same situation if you choose to thin it in order to wipe it on.

John

John the waterlox original sealer finish is thinned like armrseal. Its a wiping varnish. The other waterlox products like the high gloss and satin varnish are unthinned as you say. They sell a couple different sealers with confusing names, but the one the op references below is a wiping varnish.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    John the waterlox original sealer finish is thinned like armrseal. Its a wiping varnish. The other waterlox products like the high gloss and satin varnish are unthinned as you say. They sell a couple different sealers with confusing names, but the one the op references below is a wiping varnish.
    Prashun, what's the % solids of the Waterlox OS? Arm-R-Seal isn't thinned but it does have a low viscosity making it suitable for wiping. If that's what you meant about Waterlox OS then there should be no need to apply more than 3 or 4 coats if the % solids is similar to Arm-R-Seal. The number of coats required is directly related to the % solids of the product and how thick it is applied. Three or 4 with Arm-R-Seal is usually adequate, and after 5 or 6 you risk doing more harm than good.

John

I see.

Arm R Seal has 28-30% solids by volume.
    Waterlox OSF has 22-23% solids by volume.
    Waterlox 'pure' varnishes have about 32-34% solids by volume.

Arm R Seal appears to be slightly thinned vs brushing varnishes.

However, I would think that the method of application has a lot to do with the number of coats too. When I brush, I am laying down a thicker coat. When I wipe, I lay down a very thin coat. Isn't that why they say you need about 3 wiped on coats to equal a brushed on coat? I mean, if we went just by solids, then you'd only need about 4 coats wiped on to equal 3 coats Waterlox OSF brushed on. I have not experienced that to be the case.

The percent solids I listed were by weight % vs. yours by volume %. Arm-R-Seal recommends 3 coats. I find 3 or 4 to be adequate. At 7 or 8 coats it starts to look like a poured on finish to me. Most folks find 2 or 3 brushed on coats to be adequate. That seems pretty consistent with 3 or 4 wiped on coats with a 4 to 2 or 3 ratio. Anyway, if you have to thin Waterlox in order to wipe it on, then you will need more coats compared to another product you don't have to thin if they all have the same % solids in the can (and ARS and WL do in weight %).

John