Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hammer A3-31 Owners, Please Help

1) If you have this machine, would you buy it again? Is there anything with it that you regret or would like to change?

I have the A3-31. 18 months now. Yes, I would have no problem buying it again. It is a very well made piece of equipment and is a great value for the money. IMHO it is a slight notch below the Mini Max FS41 I had the chance to use a few yrs ago. But that may be an apples to oranges compare as the FS41 is a bit more $. I have no regrets at all…I would have loved to have the funds to buy the larger size, or separates, or the Felder. The only thing I would change is the buying of add ons. When I bought my table extensions, I didn’t know about a company called Aigner that makes extensions and accessories. They have a lot to choose from.

2) I’m looking at buying the spiral head rather than the straight knives. The Felder rep told me that you can only purchase replacement cutters directly from Felder. Is this really the case? Can I not purchase the Byrd cutters as I’ve read that this is possibly a Byrd head?

I got the spiral head. I like the reduced tearout on figured woods. It’s a proprietary design and build from Felder. First side of the cutters lasted about 1 year. Changing was easy. I do see the value in the tersa style heads/blades, you can have different blades for different tasks and the blades are not very expensive.

3) If you’ve purchased this or other machines from Felder/Hammer, how has your support post-sale been? Did the machine arrive with any issues? If so, how did Felder handle it? I’ve read extremely conflicting reports on their service and I’m at a loss here.

I have purchased three machines from Felder/Hammer. Service is good. They handle issues. I had some issues and they were solved reasonably well. PM me or call if you want details.

5) I’ve also put the digital hand wheel in the order as well as two extension tables. I figured one on each side as I regularly work with long stock between 6’-8’ long and as I understand it the stock beds are rather short. Is this a good move? Have you possibly made your own infeed/outfeed for it and would not recommend these? Are there other accessories you’d suggest

I love the digital handwheel. I bought one of the short extension tables and I use it for the planer outfeed. I made two long (30 inch) extensions for jointing in and outfeed. They work reasonably well for the few times I’ve needed them. If money was no object, I’d buy proper extensions.

I’d suggest you make a little backing brace/block that sits behind the outfeed part of the jointer fence. The aluminum can flex when pushing heavy stock through and the block/brace makes it rock solid. Mine is just a 5 inch tall, 2 inch wide and 3-4 inch deep block of Ash that I just use a bessey clamp to attach it with.

6) Is there another machine along the lines of the A3-31 that I should be looking at? I looked at the Jet (not as favorable as this machine in terms of reviews on performance whereas this machine performance wise usually gets very high marks), the Grizzly (not interested due to having to take off the fence), and the MiniMax FS30 (more expensive, can’t find that much info on it, I spoke with a customer once and he was all over the place so I worry that an actual MM rep couldn’t call me to talk it through and they had a customer call me instead, or as he termed it an owner that is now a local rep, whatever that means). My main criteria are a spiral cutterhead, ease of changing over from jointer to planer and vice versa, not having to take the fence off for the changeover, and 12” capacity.

Minimax, Hammer, Felder are the only readily available choices I can think of on the high end of the hobby user market. I don’t have direct experience with the Jet, Rikon, or Grizzly products so I can’t compare them. Some guys use those brands and get great results. IMO there is a meaningful difference in the materials used, fit, finish, repeatable accuracy, etc, of the Hammer. It does what it’s supposed to, again and again. It just works.

7) How did you make this machine mobile?
    I use the Hammer mobile base. Works great for me

Summary: IMO it’s a great mix of quality and price. Yes it’s a pretty costly relative to some other brands but it’s well worth it to me. I try to buy high quality stuff and cry just once when I cut the check and then I get to smile every time I use it and get great results. No offense to Griz Jet or Rikon, it’s good stuff but I simply chose to go with another brand and I love the product.

I'm not a professional woodworker, but I do use the machine to make and sell loads of end grain butcher blocks and cutting boards that I sell in Vermont and Florida, so my machines get more than hobby use but not as much as in a professional setting.

hope that helps.

@Mark: Thank you! Great Lakes Caster actually has a warehouse about 30 minutes from me and I found the casters on their site for ~$15 each with the stem variant so I think I'll go this route as well. I read on one forum that the frame may experience racking when adjusting the casters. Have you found this to be true at all?

@Tyler: Your experience with the CS is exactly what I've read about numerous times now and is part of my hesitation. It seems very common to hear that service was sub-par and there was talking down to. You are definitely not the first person to say this which does worry me a little bit. I've got my fair share of woodworking tools but I've only been in the hobby for roughly 3 years and I don't have much machine experience so I'm not exactly "in the know" when technical machine folk talk about some of the components. I'm worried that if I had trouble with mine for whatever reason and they tried to describe things to me in this tone I'd lose it :\

@James: I think you've reaffirmed my decision on not getting the extensions at this point. Thank you very much for your input.

@Scott/Mark: Mark said he had to drill out only 2 holes but you say you had to drill out all 4. Were there no holes at all in yours? And it's unfortunate about your experience with the sales. Thus far they have seemed good to me but I'm more worried about the post-sale support. It sucks that they lost a sale of another big ticket item for your reason, though, that is definitely concerning.

@Ted: A "CM" promotion? Would you care to elaborate on that?

@Susumu: Your post as well as others is starting to worry me a bit about the fence now which I had not considered before posting this thread. I thought the fence design was nice and a space saver but if it has deflection, that's definitely troublesome...

@Craig: Do you have a link to the Aigner company? When I run a search all I can find is a fashion outfit. As for your feeling of buy once/cry once, that's exactly how I feel as well. I'm sending you a PM with some follow up questions if you don't mind.

Again, this has been a huge help everyone and I really appreciate the extremely valuable feedback provided here. I'm very happy I decided to post this thread.

Matt, I haven't noticed any racking. I also dont move the j/p very often. I did when I first got it though. I'm very tight on space and I found a good spot so its pretty much is stationary now. I nice thing about the casters is that you can get all your surfaces level. Not sure if it makes a difference but I prefer that my pencils dont roll off the surfaces

Oh, I have the previous model and two of the holes were predrilled (used by the hammer mobility kit), and other two were not. The new model might be different.

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Przybylski View Post
    ....@Ted: A "CM" promotion? Would you care to elaborate on that?....
    Enter CM as promotion code/coupon number during checkout. No recent experience, but read that it still works.

Since I own a different brand of J/P, I can't help with many of your specific questions, but I will say that I'm extremely happy with having a J/P combo in my shop...space efficient and much more capable than what I could fit in as separates. I also prefer having wide jointing capability as I love wide stock and there are also other benefits to that wider surface. While my particular machine does have a built-in mobility feature, it hasn't moved in years.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The fence works perfectly, it's different from North American style fences, although my General jointer also had an end mounted fence.

Regards, Rod.

Ditto, I have no problems with my fence. Stays at 90 and very flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The fence works perfectly, it's different from North American style fences, although my General jointer also had an end mounted fence.

Regards, Rod.

I'd seen some discussion of the Aigner extensions on the festool owners group lists.
    I haven't seen a good online presence by Aigner itself, but had been referred to some resellers:
    http://www.simantechinc.com/aigner.htm
    http://www.martin-usa.com/
    http://www.rangate.com

Rangate has one of the old Aigner catalogs:
    http://www.rangate.com/uploads/Aigne...talog_2011.pdf

Matt

If you are really looking for other options you might take a look at the Baileigh JP-1686. I don't know if you have the space for it, or 3 phase in your shop but it's an awful lot of machine, for about the same money as the Hammer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgi_NRlV17Q
    Earl

I just got the A31 on Tuesday with the silent power heads. With Thanksgiving Holiday I haven't had time to delve into it too much (out of town). Preliminarily, it appears the short axis is 10/1000 off towards the front (indeed relative to outfeed). Having looked at Hammer's website and all their downloads, they could do a much better job explaining any adjustments that need to be made on this machine and what the specs should be. I need to move it around and make sure the floor isn't causing some/all of this, so I'm not going to say it's an issue. Haven't even had a chance to run much wood through it.

@Earl: If I'm not mistaken the Baileigh requires removal of fence for changeover which is a dealbreaker for me. I also don't have 3 phase in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I highly recommend Aigner extension tables!
    Why does the dust collector port on the bandsaw point up?

Matt

13. "The fence works perfectly, it's different from North American style fences, although my General jointer also had an end mounted fence."

The fence may indeed work fine, or better than fine, once ample time has been spent working with it and figuring out how to get along with it (and depending on the woodworker of course). However, the mere fact that it requires this time and futzing, to me, is evidence that it is not as simple and sturdy as a heavy-duty center mount you would find on a stand alone machine. 'Well, obviously,' some may say. It is a compromise to allow quick change overs. It remains no matter how obvious it is that if you are concerned about having a real solid fence (a thing that might play into some peoples work more than others, such as angle joining cuts) you should know this fence may require a learning curve. I honestly haven't used it enough yet to know how well it will stand up to cutting say, a large board at a 45 degree. I also don't know how it compares to other J/P combos. Only to singe use machines which I suppose we all admit would be the ideal given unlimited space and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Keniston View Post
    "The fence works perfectly, it's different from North American style fences, although my General jointer also had an end mounted fence."

The fence may indeed work fine, or better than fine, once ample time has been spent working with it and figuring out how to get along with it (and depending on the woodworker of course). However, the mere fact that it requires this time and futzing, to me, is evidence that it is not as simple and sturdy as a heavy-duty center mount you would find on a stand alone machine. 'Well, obviously,' some may say. It is a compromise to allow quick change overs. It remains no matter how obvious it is that if you are concerned about having a real solid fence (a thing that might play into some peoples work more than others, such as angle joining cuts) you should know this fence may require a learning curve. I honestly haven't used it enough yet to know how well it will stand up to cutting say, a large board at a 45 degree. I also don't know how it compares to other J/P combos. Only to singe use machines which I suppose we all admit would be the ideal given unlimited space and money.
    I've generally found that most issues with the fence were due to not installing the guide rail parallel to the table surface.

Once that was done, the fence maintained it's angle to the table.

It's no different in that respect than the end mounted fence on my General.

I do admit that the manual leaves much to be desired, and many ownards, Rod.ers probably aren't aware of the setup documentation, which isn't well publicised........Reg

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Przybylski View Post
    @Earl: If I'm not mistaken the Baileigh requires removal of fence for changeover which is a dealbreaker for me. I also don't have 3 phase in my shop.
    The small Baileigh does, that's the unit I have but the one I was talking about is a 16 inch machine and it is pretty amazing for the price. Like I said, I don't know if you have the space or 3 phase in your shop to use this machine but for about the same cost as the Hammer, it's a big upgrade. Look at the link I posted and it fully describes the machine.
    Earl