Thread: 56 year old rookie needs help with finishing 75 year pine timbers from cotton mill

56 year old rookie needs help with finishing 75 year pine timbers from cotton mill

I bought 8 - 75 year old "vintage pine timbers" off of Craig's list for $25.00 each. They came out of a cotton mill.They are 2.5 inches thick x 7 inches wide by 10' long. I had a local wood working shop glue and bolt them together for a table top. They split one down the middle to "cap the end". They also added a thin edge. See the attached photos. I also included a photo of one of the leftover boards. Yep, it's heavy. I've done a lot of sanding and I like the way it looks.there is some white paint left on, but we like the look. I'd like a matte finish and some protection. I'm planning to use it as an outdoor table in a mostly shaded area. I plan to keep it covered when it's not being used. From what I've read, it appears Epifanes wood finish matte, might be a good choice. I like the holes and cracks in the surface, but will they cause the wood to rot quicker, if I don't fill them? Any and all coaching is welcomed.I feel like a 20 handicap asking a few scratch golfers for a swing tip. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ted Register; 11-25-2014 at 5:08 PM.

Bolting them together was a bad idea. That will lead to early failure because the rods will try to resist the natural and unpreventable expansion/contraction of that wide top. You have to let it do what it wants. Those rods/nuts will result in the top bowing or the wood will get crushed as it fights to grow next Summer. If you added the rods in hopes of keeping the top flat then put some large cleats underneath the top and attach them using a sliding dovetail or with screws in elongated holes so that the top can still move independently.

Pine is a really poor choice for outdoor furniture. Covering it won't help unless you mean under a tent or roof. If you put a tarp or plastic over it condensation will form under it and you'll get mold and rot just as quickly as if you left it open to the elements. Epifanes Gloss Marine Varnish is the best clear exterior varnish I've used but you are asking too much of it to protect something that has so many surface defects. You have to have a continuous film to keep out water; any break in that film is an entry point for moisture which will lead to rot and failure of the finish film.

Unless you live in a very dry state I recommend you find a different application for that table top. If you are bound and determined to use it outside then just leave it unfinished and enjoy it for as long as it lasts with monthly power washings to keep it sort of clean.

Sorry to be so negative but I don't see a happy ending.

John

John,
    Thanks for the feed back. I learned a lot in the past few weeks and suspected that was the case. I might have to gift this as an indoor table to one my kids, they like the way it looks as well. Thanks again for the advice.

It would make a nice "man-cave" table...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Blog Entries
    It would also make a good workbench top. Or two.

John 10 nailed it.

Bolts bad.

Epifanes excellent; best of all IMO - but you would have to fill them holes that add the character you like, as J 10 implied. YOu could use a dark epoxy that would highlight where they are/were.........but that ight not be what you are looking for.

Outdoor - yeah, cover it, but don't drape the plastic directly on it......you will still run the risk of starting a new science project, though.

Best use: Build a good-sized wine cellar, and use this as the central table. Should seat 12 comfortably. But - you need a BIG cellar, to store all the wine your 11 new best friends will drink.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

What type of adhesive was used to glue the boards together? Was it a waterproof adhesive?

Fixing the cross grain situation described by John may be as easy as just removing the cross grain rods. If you used the correct adhesive, the rods are redundant and not needed.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    John 10 nailed it.

Bolts bad.

Epifanes excellent; best of all IMO - but you would have to fill them holes that add the character you like, as J 10 implied. YOu could use a dark epoxy that would highlight where they are/were.........but that ight not be what you are looking for.

Outdoor - yeah, cover it, but don't drape the plastic directly on it......you will still run the risk of starting a new science project, though.

Best use: Build a good-sized wine cellar, and use this as the central table. Should seat 12 comfortably. But - you need a BIG cellar, to store all the wine your 11 new best friends will drink.
    Maybe a little moonshine with this cover.

Classic Accessories 55-155-045101-EC Ravenna Oval/Rectangle Patio Table and Chair Cover, Large, Taupe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D2VUR02..._B.6Dub0K7TF4D

I'd like to have base like this.

Attachment 301027
    Attached Images Attached Images

Q? - Did anyone test that white paint for lead?
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-01-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Bolting them together was a bad idea..... I don't see a happy ending.
    John
    Would it help to loosen the bolts and apply linseed oil? Would it have problems if an outdoor roof was created for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cofrancesco View Post
    Would it help to loosen the bolts and apply linseed oil? Would it have problems if an outdoor roof was created for it?

Anythi9ng you can do to keep it dry will help. I am not a big fan of wood outdoors in many cases. Still like the wine cellar idea, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Q? - Did anyone test that white paint for lead?
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll buy a test kit on the way home. I'm sitting in the waiting room waiting on my first grandchild. Wouldn't want any lead paint around.

Tested the paint and there's no lead. I'm actually surprise. Thanks again for the suggestion.