Thread: Gouge how-to for non-carvers?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    For smaller work I would check out the Hirsch Swedish pattern gouges at Highland Woodworking. I think you might also find some interesting options at Country Workshops>tools>specialty chisels and gouges---particularly the Karlsson Mini Spoon Gouge. My other suggestion would be a spokeshave like the WoodJoy 2" Performance Shave, compass. The Master WoodJoy shave is nice but much larger and I think a little more difficult to use if you do not use spokeshaves regularly. The finer work on Windsor chair seat curved edges and hollowed out seats is frequently done with a spokeshave with a flat or slightly curved bottom and a straight blade. The "round" spindles for Windsor Chairs are typically made with drawknives and spokeshaves with flat bottoms and straight blades. You don't necessarily need a curved blade for curved edges. Steep small concave areas are where one needs a gouge, although they come in handy for removing larger amounts of wood too.

Gouges and other tools with curved blades can scoop out larger chunks of wood without as much risk of causing the splits and cracks common to using a flat blade for the same work.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-25-2014 at 11:42 PM.