Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Me Decide On A Drum Sander!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I got to use the Jet 22/44 a couple weeks ago at David Marks' shop during a class. I was quite impressed with it. I just don't think I have the space for such a large sander but I would seriously consider getting one. Right now, I make do with a Delta 18/36. It is slow but it actually works nicely. I still need to employ the "Coloccia" tape crown on the rollers to keep the darn conveyor belt from walking off to the side.
    I was wondering if that worked for anyone who tried it.

Couple things to add about my Woodmaster that may be of interest.

The 5 HP motor is a Baldor, not an import. It takes a 30A, 220V circuit.
    The ShopFox base that came with it is not strong enough for it, wheels will hardly turn.
    It weighs about 1200# shipping.

I got the 37" because it was on a great sale, as well as thinking I would use it for cabinet face frames after assembly. As it turns out, after doing a bunch that way, I now prefer to pre sand all my components (face frame and doors) to the exact size, then assemble, then final sand with a ROS.

Truth be told, I could probably do most of my sanding on a 12" wide drum sander doing it this way. I am waiting to replace the paper currently on the machine. I will replace it with two grits, side by side, giving me, in effect two sanders in one.

Not quite sure yet how I will split it. Probably use 120/150 on a larger area than the 80/100. This would be so I can fit the (glued up and milled) raised panel section of cabinet doors on the fine grit, while the smaller individual boards will be pre sanded on the coarse grit before glue up.

This would work nicely for me, in my hobbiest shop.

Rick P

I am doing general hobbiest woodworking (i.e. tables, chairs, bookcases, ect.)

I'm not interested in a stoke sander as I am looking for tabletops to be dead flat, but thanks for the feedback.

4. I had a Performax 16/32 for a couple years, wasn't real pleased with it. I purchased a Woodmaster 26 inch. The thing is an absolute beast and as one of the other posters stated "it is built like a tank"

Yes i did, but am not one to "gloat". I did alot of research and decided that the SuperMax was the best tool on the market, After using it for a couple of months I am convinced I made the right choice.

I am surprised with all the praise about Supermax or maybe I'm the odd or unlucky one. Have a 37x2 Supermax (with a big Made in USA on the front) but I am less than impressed with it. The lifting mechanism is clumsy or not very well designed. The die cast gears at the end are not secured properly to the shaft (only a set screw that keeps loosening) and after tighten it multiple times it eventually stripped the soft cast. The fix was to make a through hole and tap a larger screw. I think one issue is that the weight of the table (which is large and heavy) is too much for those little gears to move up.
    Another issue came with the adjusting bolt/nut for tracking the belt. The bolt wasn't of good quality and snapped (yes broke) once. Replaced it with a better grade bolt. Oh... and the conveyor belt (sand paper) doesn't last forever; I'd get a sander with rubber conveyor that lasts a bit longer.

I purchased a Supermax 25-50 last year. I was concerned about the open-ended design but am no longer. The machine is very stout and has required no adjustment since initial setup. Dust collection is terrific and paper changes are straightforward. I purchased the extension tables and have found them to be useful. My only regret is I purchased the OEM supplied digital readout and find I really don't use it. The shipping and handling arranged by Acme Tool was uneventful.

You are getting close in price with the large drum sanders to the price of the smallest Grizzly widebelt sander. I have the G9983 widebelt, it is a 15" open end sander, 5hp. I really enjoy using the thing, as it does a great job of flattening my panels. Of course, I have to rotate my panels as I am sanding them. This way both sides are finished at the same time, and rotating seems to help flatten them. As for cost of belts, I buy the paper belts from Grizzly, very reasonably priced and they last very well.

I have an older Performax 25x2 ($600 on CL) that required a little TLC, but works well. I also have a Performax 16x32. The double drum is certainly a step up. I have a smaller shop and the 25x2 does have a big footprint with the wide splayed legs...that's a negative for me....also, the dust collection is not ideal (Supermax's newer models may be better). On the plus side, I have flattened long and wide natural edge slabs on it (36 grit) and that works well, though it takes many passes. I've had thoughts of selling them both and getting a widebelt, but will have to save my allowance for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    I have an older Performax 25x2 ($600 on CL) that required a little TLC, but works well. I also have a Performax 16x32. The double drum is certainly a step up. I have a smaller shop and the 25x2 does have a big footprint with the wide splayed legs...that's a negative for me....also, the dust collection is not ideal (Supermax's newer models may be better). On the plus side, I have flattened long and wide natural edge slabs on it (36 grit) and that works well, though it takes many passes. I've had thoughts of selling them both and getting a widebelt, but will have to save my allowance for that.
    I would take that off your hands in a second if I were anywhere near you. I live in NJ.