Thread: Spriral Cutter Head Purchase Time - Opinons on $ vs Brand

Spriral Cutter Head Purchase Time - Opinons on $ vs Brand

Going to change my planer and joiner to spiral cutter heads. Figured I would have to decide if the Byrd was worth more than the Grizzly. Much to my surprise the Byrd is a lot less $.

Did a search, most of what I found seemed to point to there not being any appreciable difference.

Thought I would ask before settling on the Byrd if there is some good reasons to pay more for the Grizzly.

Darrell,

While my Grizzly 8" jointer came with the Grizzly head on it, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

It's a common topic here. A quick search of this forum will result in many threads where this topic is discussed.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Just changed Powermatic jointer and planner to Byrd heads.
    A lot quieter than factory blades.
    Cuts are smoother than STP on glass.
    Could not be happier.

John. I have the Powermatic, planer, jointer also. How big of a deal is it to replace the heads with Bryds? what was the cost if you do not mind telling?

Byrd = domestic
    Grizz = import

To some this is important and to others not, only you can decide.

I put a Byrd on my 12 inch Grizzly jointer. It doesn't matter which head you get. As far as the installation labor it still is a pain to get everything in there. However, when I did have a problem with the Byrd install (a mismanufactured end with the wrong threat pitch) they custom made me a bolt and overnight shipped it to me. I had it in 2 days after calling them. That would be tough to duplicate with an import.
    Wood'N'Scout

Blog Entries
    Another vote on 'either will be fine'. I've used both and see no appreciable difference.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler