Thread: Article: Using CA Glue in Woodturning

Article: Using CA Glue in Woodturning

I also coat my hands with paste wax, and when thru w`ipe it off. no sticky fingers. Max

Wow,great article Wally.I learned a bunch.Thanks

Best summary of CA characteristics I've read. Thanks.
    Pat

The fumes are bothersome. Is it safe to use a dust extractor to suck the fumes away? Or would the fumes just be more widely dispersed thru the shop, since the filters are inside the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bollard View Post
    The fumes are bothersome. Is it safe to use a dust extractor to suck the fumes away? Or would the fumes just be more widely dispersed thru the shop, since the filters are inside the shop?

Inhalation of significant amounts of the fumes can result in major irritation of the airways, which can persist for several days. Hoarseness and coughing can be painful.

Don't ask me how I know. Mine came from using it as a finish on a small bowl, even with the shop door open I got a strong dose in a few seconds - on the way out! Remember the basic premise of toxicology - the dose makes the poison (believe it was Paraclesus (sp?) who figured that out about 1500 years ago).

Recently, my glasses frame sheared off at the ear piece when I was traveling. I fixed it using CA glue mixed with baking soda. It created a rock hard substance that kept for 6 weeks until I got home and could replace the glasses.