Thread: Walker Turner bandsaw rebuild

Walker Turner bandsaw rebuild

I've about completed my restoration of a 1940s Walker Turner bandsaw. Does anyone know where I can get new tires installed as well as new bearings for the shafts?

You can get bearings at many places like Fastenal if you need it locally, or there are many online bearing houses like vxb.
    There are a lot of online places for bandsaw tires too. In fact I just ordered some yesterday from Sulphur Hrove Tool bc they got good reviews here on SMC, not to mention good prices and super quick shipping. They can custom make tires too.

Edit- were you looking to have these things done by someone? I didn't assume that since I figured if you restored the entire machine you could handle installing bearings and tires.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 11-21-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Yes, I too have been going down the 16" WT path. Go to vintage machinery.org and register in their forum. Just do a search and you will find anything WT you want. Accurate bearings will have what you need. There is even a person there that knows all the bearing numbers you need. I forget that part as it's been a year. But she knew what I needed and they are quality bearings.

I also found a guy in Boston, that will even make parts for it if you need. I need the elevation mechanism thats pot metal, and he would make me one for 300, but I only paid 125 for the whole thing so I'll skip that part.

Walker Turners are heavy & quality machines, but the one draw back is WT frequently used bearings which were manufactured for WT and are now obsolete. Both the 14" & 16" BN series saws (round top) used these now obsolete bearings on the bottom wheels. The top wheels use a off the shelf bearing.

Top wheel bearings: O.D. = 40mm; Bore = 17mm; Width = 12mm

Bottom wheel bearings: The original Lower Bearings have a non-standard bore. The original bearing was MRC204 SF 5
    BORE DIAMETER - 0.7495"(19MM = SPECIAL)
    O.D.=1.8504" (47MM-standard)
    WIDTH = 0.5512" (14MM - standard)

Walker-Turner Serviced Machinery, LLC in CT still sells original spec replacement lower bearings, the other option is to modify the saw to take a modern replacement.

As Matt said, get on OWWM and do some searching, many of these BS have been restored and documented over there.

Mike

Pics? No pics???!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    You can get bearings at many places like Fastenal if you need it locally, or there are many online bearing houses like vxb.
    There are a lot of online places for bandsaw tires too. In fact I just ordered some yesterday from Sulphur Hrove Tool bc they got good reviews here on SMC, not to mention good prices and super quick shipping. They can custom make tires too.

Edit- were you looking to have these things done by someone? I didn't assume that since I figured if you restored the entire machine you could handle installing bearings and tires.
    I haven't had any problem with any part of the restoration; however, I don't feel comfortable crowning the tires... Installing tires isn't a problem. I was hoping to find a place that can install and crown replacements. Any suggestions?

Thanks. I'll get with OWWM. I haven't had any problem with any part of the restoration; however, I don't feel comfortable crowning the tires... Installing tires isn't a problem. I was hoping to find a place that can install and crown replacements. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    There is even a person there that knows all the bearing numbers you need.
    Not really. Lynne does not keep a list of machines and bearings. You can find that info at VM org
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I haven't had any problem with any part of the restoration; however, I don't feel comfortable crowning the tires... Installing tires isn't a problem. I was hoping to find a place that can install and crown replacements. Any suggestions?

Don't remember if that's the right person or not, but i called and had model and that was all i needed. Maybee things changed.

Bill ,Daily saw service did some bandsaw tires for me.They came back perfect.They are here on the west coast In south gate.