Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oneida Dust Sentry Failure

Now here is an interesting idea: If you have an Oneida dust collector, and add the wireless remote receiver to it, they wire in the receiver before it ships and it is inside the on/off switch power control box. That means that there must be a low DC voltage somewhere in there to power that tiny receiver. Unless its built into the tiny receiver box they install in there, though I doubt that. Id have to go messing around in there to figure out how much voltage and current is available from the power supply they are feeding that RF receiver with, but yea it might be possible to power the bin sensor system from that...
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I've built two of these so far

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Now here is an interesting idea: If you have an Oneida dust collector, and add the wireless remote receiver to it, they wire in the receiver before it ships and it is inside the on/off switch power control box. That means that there must be a low DC voltage somewhere in there to power that tiny receiver. Unless its built into the tiny receiver box they install in there, though I doubt that. Id have to go messing around in there to figure out how much voltage and current is available from the power supply they are feeding that RF receiver with, but yea it might be possible to power the bin sensor system from that...
    Ben,
    fter reading your posts I built a couple of level sensors from the information you provided. As I posted upthread I'm using the Tork TRP power supply/relay which provides 24vdc 150mA whatever voltage (120 to 277vac) you give it, so it's just hooked into the motor control, no wall wart needed. In one case I'm also using the 20amp 1hp rated relay to turn the DC on and off with a current sensing relay, and the other I'm just using the power supply and not the relay. For $9 per unit the Tork is a pretty good deal.
    In the simple version where I'm not controlling the DC motor there is just three components; the Tork TRP, a Banner S18P6D sensor, and a buzzer. The srobe light seemed a bit clunky and the buzzer works well. The complicated version I built just adds the current sensing relay, and in that case the relay shuts oof the DC motor when the sensor sees the container getting full.
    I like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hood View Post
    Ben,
    fter reading your posts I built a couple of level sensors from the information you provided. As I posted upthread I'm using the Tork TRP power supply/relay which provides 24vdc 150mA whatever voltage (120 to 277vac) you give it, so it's just hooked into the motor control, no wall wart needed. In one case I'm also using the 20amp 1hp rated relay to turn the DC on and off with a current sensing relay, and the other I'm just using the power supply and not the relay. For $9 per unit the Tork is a pretty good deal.
    In the simple version where I'm not controlling the DC motor there is just three components; the Tork TRP, a Banner S18P6D sensor, and a buzzer. The srobe light seemed a bit clunky and the buzzer works well. The complicated version I built just adds the current sensing relay, and in that case the relay shuts oof the DC motor when the sensor sees the container getting full.
    I like it very much.
    Nice. As I mentioned before to another who offered there solution I know there are tons of ways to do this, I was merely trying to document how Oneida's system worked. Theirs is by no means the best or even feature packed, just A way.

That said I like your idea. Is this the supply/relay you are using: Tork TRP-24 LINK? I may pick one of those up and play with that too.

Ben,

I do indeed have the Oneida (2.5hp Super Dust Gorilla) with the remote, so I'll look into that. Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Andersen View Post
    Ben,

I do indeed have the Oneida (2.5hp Super Dust Gorilla) with the remote, so I'll look into that. Thanks for the idea.
    Its an interesting idea, but Im kinda thinking now it might not work as Im guessing the supply voltage to that RF receiver is probably now 10-30Vdc which is what the Banner QS18VN6D wants. Plus it would have to be 12Vdc in order to power the strobe. If I had to guess Id say it would be a 5Vdc supply going into that RF receiver.

Hey guys, going to move further discussion to a dedicated thread I threw together quickly. Ill refine it later when I get time. You can find it here: LINK

We have gotten this one way off topic.

Feel free to move your designs and ideas into that thread so that hopefully we can get a proper centralized thread of information on the topic.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 03-19-2016 at 4:56 PM.

Also created the Oneida Filter Efficiency Gauge thread here: LINK

Nice. As I mentioned before to another who offered there solution I know there are tons of ways to do this, I was merely trying to document how Oneida's system worked. Theirs is by no means the best or even feature packed, just A way.

That said I like your idea. Is this the supply/relay you are using: Tork TRP-24 LINK? I may pick one of those up and play with that too.
    That is the exact device.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hood View Post
    Ben,
    thanks for your help with the PNP thing. I went ahead and added the overfill sensor to my automatic (current sensing) DC controller I built today. DC turns on when the saw comes on and the sensor kills power to the blower if the barrel gets too full.
    Cost $105 for the whole shebang and was a dead easy build. Now, all I need is a barrel!
    Attachment 332604
    Attachment 332605
    Did you use plans from Aug 2000 FWW? I added a delay on break timer to let DC run after machine turns off? Runs about 10 seconds to clear the pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Did you use plans from Aug 2000 FWW? I added a delay on break timer to let DC run after machine turns off? Runs about 10 seconds to clear the pipes.
    Ill have to check that issue out.

Ben/others,

This thread is timely for me. Thanks for sharing your work on this.

I intend to build two sensors, since I have two bins to worry about.
    I see you have confirmed that the commercial version uses QS18VP6D, which is readily available.

However, I notice it has a 450mm range. I hate to ask a dumb question, but is there a way to adjust the sensitivity or distance within that range?

Can you advise about the effective range of the sensor in this application where sawdust triggers this sensor?

Thanks!

Dave

Duh.
    google is my friend indeed.
    looks like there is an adjustment on the sensor.
    i should have noticed that.
    dave

Yep, you answered your own question

Also Ive moved this topic to a new thread: LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Dave huber View Post
    Ben/others,

This thread is timely for me. Thanks for sharing your work on this.

I intend to build two sensors, since I have two bins to worry about.
    I see you have confirmed that the commercial version uses QS18VP6D, which is readily available.

However, I notice it has a 450mm range. I hate to ask a dumb question, but is there a way to adjust the sensitivity or distance within that range?

Can you advise about the effective range of the sensor in this application where sawdust triggers this sensor?

Thanks!

Dave
    I just installed the sensor, and I believe the detection range is up to 18 inches. It can be adjusted to much less than 18 inches (450 mm), but I set mine to around 5-6 inches. I didn't choose something close to zero in case I didn't see the LED warning light immediately.

Oneida Dust bin sensor replacement- Banner part S18N6FF100

Sorry for the super late response. The part that replaced the Oneida bin sensor was a Banner S18SN6ff100. It works great compared to the previous Oneida supplied ones that I used. Has anyone else had to replace the remote control receiver inside the magnetic switch. I have a 5hp single phase gorilla and will be on my 3rd remote sensor. Any one know where to get the part for it besides from Oneida?