Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oneida Dust Sentry Failure

Given the info you found, I would not hesitate to risk the $67 on this bet. Everything from the picture to the component specs all look inline with what I received from Oneida. On a related note, It looks like Oneida redesigned the way the sensor connects to the strobe. On my unit, there is no connector, it is hard wired in. I had to disassemble the strobe, cut the wires inside in order to mount the strobe on the outside of the closet... Looks like they received some good feedback and made a change, just a little too late for me.

ClearVue has a bin sensor as a complete kit for $250. I scan their forum and haven't heard anything bad thing about it. Nobody complains that their bin overflowed.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Henderson View Post
    The other side (far side) was not easy to get to... but here's what I found. "QS18VP6D", with a smaller "10-30VDC" underneath.
    Huh, well I was almost right. Looks like they are using the PNP version. Interesting.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I wonder if this would work:
    The S18SN6FF100 sensor (~30 ebay) driven by a TORK TRP sensor (~$10 ebay) which takes 100 to 300vac and converts it to 24vdc to drive the sensor and provides a relay, either using the 24vdc (drive a bright red LED, buzzer, etc.) or the supply voltage, or whatever else is available. $50 all in and a very fast build time.

Might have to build me one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Strasser View Post
    I have an Oneida Dust Sentry drum level sensor for my dust collector. Unfortunately, the infrared sensor failed. I called Oneida but they would not sell the infrared sensor, nor would they give a part number so I could get it myself. After some searching I found a part that works. It is a Banner S18SN6FF100 that cost me $90 from Banner Engineering. Their website is bannerengineering.com.

The S18SN6FF100 is a Fixed Field (4 inch) sensor with NPN output (150 mA).

Just wanted to pass this information along in case anyone has the same problem. You could also make your own drum level sensor with one of these (or similar) infrared sensors, a 24 volt DC power supply, and a LED flasher. The Banner site shows how to hook up the infrared sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hood View Post
    I wonder if this would work:
    The S18SN6FF100 sensor (~30 ebay) driven by a TORK TRP sensor (~$10 ebay) which takes 100 to 300vac and converts it to 24vdc to drive the sensor and provides a relay, either using the 24vdc (drive a bright red LED, buzzer, etc.) or the supply voltage, or whatever else is available. $50 all in and a very fast build time.

Might have to build me one of these.
    Can do it easier than that. I already linked to the LED strobe Oneida uses and you can use a 12V wall wart power supply and a simple/cheap solid state relay to control the LED strobe. Just have to make sure you wire it up correctly if youre going to use the PNP vs NPN version of the Banner QS18 series sensor.

The S18SN6FF100 sensor had issues and a people had problems with it. Using the newer sensor they now use would be better. Its the same cost on eBay.

Anyone out there who owns a newer/latest version of the Oneida dust bin level sensor want to open the box (where the LED strobe is mounted) and snap a pic so we can have a quick look inside? Not needed but it would be interesting to see what they did in there.

Ben, if you do go ahead and build a bin sensor, please post the details!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Andersen View Post
    Ben, if you do go ahead and build a bin sensor, please post the details!
    Will do. Going to be a while to get all the parts in though, some are coming from good ol china.

Hi Ben,
    do you understand the PNP vs NPN question? Because it is going right over my head and I want to add one to a build I am in the middle of, a current sensing relay that will switch the DC automatically with the TS. Because it already has a 24vdc power supply and a very bright red LED I may be able to simply add the Banner device to get the overfill feature as well.

Blog Entries
    Someone here used to build and sell an aftermarket bin sensor, anyone remember? Still available?
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hood View Post
    Hi Ben,
    do you understand the PNP vs NPN question? Because it is going right over my head and I want to add one to a build I am in the middle of, a current sensing relay that will switch the DC automatically with the TS. Because it already has a 24vdc power supply and a very bright red LED I may be able to simply add the Banner device to get the overfill feature as well.
    Give this a read, might help: LINK

There are no electronics in the box. Only connections where power and the strobe and sensor connect to each other. I think there are 3 connections including ground. Power to sensor, Sensor output to strobe, ground.
    IMG_0426.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Henderson View Post
    There are no electronics in the box. Only connections where power and the strobe and sensor connect to each other. I think there are 3 connections including ground. Power to sensor, Sensor output to strobe, ground.
    IMG_0426.jpg
    LOL Thanks for that! Thats too funny. The cheap chinese strobe they are using shows a current draw of 120mA, but the Banner sensor claims from its data sheet a max current draw of 100mA from its NPN or PNP output. Now I realize that its a strobe and only on for a very short duration, but thats still closer than I would have preferred if it were my design. However Im sure they cleared it with Banner and obviously its been working fine and the data sheet also says it does offer over current protection. Good to know. Its just a direct wire up with the strobe, sensor and AC transformer/wall wart. Too easy.

Interesting though, I only see what looks like three wires coming from the sensor, I dont have mine in front of me but I thought there was supposed to be four.

EDIT: Ah there is four, black is Normally Open (NO), white is Normally Closed (NC). They are just using the normally closed (black wire) and probably cut back/off/short the white wire which is why it isnt seen in the pic.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 02-24-2016 at 1:17 PM.

Welp, here ya go guys, nice and simple.

Oneida Dust Bin Sensor.JPG

Id recommend a wall wart of at least 200mA. Pretty common, you probably have an old one laying around from a network/internet router or some other electronic do-hicky that no longer works. Just make sure its 12V DC.

Regarding the sensor, this example uses the PNP version (QS18VP6D, the one Oneida currently uses) but you can also use the NPN version (I will be since thats what I found a good deal on, QS18VN6D) but the wiring will be different.

NPN Version (QS18VN6D):

Oneida Dust Bin Sensor NPN.JPG

The strobe they are using is this one I believe: LINK, if you use anything different either drive it with a relay (one which the contact driving part draws 100mA or less) or make sure whatever it is you use draws less than about 120mA.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 02-24-2016 at 6:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Someone here used to build and sell an aftermarket bin sensor, anyone remember? Still available?
    Ole, I make the bin sensor system that has been sold through the ClearVue Cyclones website since 2012. It was mentioned briefly earlier in this thread, but I cannot comment further per the forum standards.