Thread: Cutting Cell-Cast Acrylic

Cutting Cell-Cast Acrylic

I am cutting 1/8" cell-cast acrylic (no engraving, just cutting) on a Trotec 30w. I was unsure whether you leave the protective paper on (one or both sides) or take it off and should it be cut upside down?

AFAIK, both sides of clear cast are the same (and I've only seen clear with paper on both sides). Clean up is easier if you leave it on. Only if it starts to get old does getting the paper off after cutting/engraving become a problem.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I leave the paper on the bottom, just makes cleanup easier. When the material is old and the paper doesn't want to come off, I rub a little press cleaner on it and let it sit for five or tem minutes and it peels right off.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Yes - leave it on. Protects against any residue from cutting as well as fingerprints and scratches.

If you still get tick marks from the cutting grid/bars even with it on, then add an extra layer of transfer or masking tape to be bottom side.

In the UK paper protection is very rare : we almost always get polythene instead. One side has the maker's info on and is normally marked "viewing side" or similar : the other side plain blank.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK