Thread: Looking for value - Stanley #40 Chisel set

Looking for value - Stanley #40 Chisel set

Hi all,

I have a seven piece Stanley #40 Chisel set. Most sets I've seen have six, my 7th is a mortising chisel.

Can anyone point me to where I can find a reliable value for this set. There is a 6 pc set on e-bay for $525. I am watching to see if it sells.

Google Search points to some old discussions about these being valuable and link to a page that is no longer active.

All help is appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Lance

They're nice chisels. I have some that I bought new, and can get them as sharp as anything else. I've been watching them on ebay just out of curiosity. I saw that 525 set and laughed. A similar set sold a few days ago for $171, and another set for barely over a hundred. Love the steel, but not the handles.

If the seventh chisel is 2" wide, it's not a mortising chisel, but a "glazier's chisel".

Thanks Tom. The seventh is about 1/8" wide with a sharp point.

I was cleaning out my drawer and noticed this set actually felt better than most of the others.

If they are worth $1-200 I'll continue using and enjoying them. If they're worth $500, I may have to think about selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mirrer View Post
    Thanks Tom. The seventh is about 1/8" wide with a sharp point.

I was cleaning out my drawer and noticed this set actually felt better than most of the others.

If they are worth $1-200 I'll continue using and enjoying them. If they're worth $500, I may have to think about selling.
    Sounds reasonable.

I don't know anything about them other than that I see them for sale a little higher than 750s from time to time. Sold listings are the only way to get a good idea, though if you have an oddball (like a 1/8th) that's not usually sold with them, you can figure it would add a fair amount. If you sell them, it's sometimes worth it to split off the oddball and sell the rest of the set separately.