Thread: Seven and change for a pair

Seven and change for a pair

"won" a plane for $0.99, and decided to do a "Local Pickup" got to the town, dropped off the wife at Walmart ( there goes the Beer Money) and picked up the plane. There was two Antique stores in town, hit them both.

Saw a "Made in Austrailia" block plane.....$25? Nope, went back and picked a #220 for $6 instead. So, for my spending $7.49 counting OH sales tax i brought home two planes
    IMAG0060.jpg
    IMAG0059.jpg
    Ah-yep. The #4 is an "Eclipse" version of the Stanley Handyman. Type 1 Handyman, that is.
    Cleaned it up, tuned it up, and tried it out
    IMAG0062.jpg
    Wood is Doug-Fir. This is the $.99 item ( $1.06 counting tax) It has a newish knob, as the original was cracked. I had a walnut one handy. Iron was a bit wavy, hammered it flat, and sharpened it up. Sole was actually flat, just needed cleaned.
    IMAG0059.jpg

New knob. Now, about that little #220.

Cleaned the iron, found out this is a SW model, with the "fancy" rear knob
    IMAG0062.jpg
    Cleaned it up, and gave the iron a little sharpening. Most of the black Japanning was missing on the cap iron
    IMAG0061.jpg
    This was the $6.42 plane. Wife spent WAY more than I did, but we were both happy. She even bought Lunch!

Cheap, or, Frugal?

Blog Entries
    The block plane is a good score, but I don't know about the other.

If you aren't selling some of these you might check if there is a 12 step program for you near by.

She even bought Lunch!
    Now that is an idea that might get my wife to spend less if she has to buy lunch if she spends more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What kind of beer does your wife usually buy, then?

Congrats on the buys. The 220 is an under-respected plane.