Thread: Rubber Stamp Cleaning

Rubber Stamp Cleaning

I tried engraving rubber stamps for the first time on my Trotec Speedy 2 and they turned out fine but is there a way to remove the black smoke from the rubber? I tried soap and water and rubbing alcohol with a toothbrush.

Which rubber are you using? The regular stuff or the 'Low Odor' material? I've had decent luck removing it from low odor rubber with the "LAZRCLEAN" that JDS sells.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

I usually spray them with simple green, letting it work for a second or two then get'ta scrubbing with the toothbrush.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

What do you mean by black smoke? Can you put up a photo?
    I only get a grey fine dust which cleans off nicely with soap, water and a small scrubbing brush.
    If you are getting black burnt areas, it may be your settings or a focus issue.
    Vector Etch Laser Cutting & Engraving
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Trotec Speedy 360 120W
    Trotec Speedy 100 60W

simple green and toothbrush here, too.
    Black doesn't sound right.. is it getting too much power?
    Avatar courtesy of the awesome Frank Corker
    30w Mercury and workbench so full of misc. tools that
    I can't find any of them. So I have to buy them again.

I can't say that I have every had black soot on the laser rubber, as one other person mentioned, I get a gray ash. I use simply water and a drip of citrus dish soap and it cleans up great. I use low odor with my 30 watt Trotec Rayjet.

Never had any black on the rubber I have been doing. Just a fine dust that I brush off with a dry paint brush and maybe a little dish washing soap and water.

Now I did get bad results when stupid me forgot to focus the height.
    Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s

I did not use "low odor", just regular material. I may have to change the settings. I used power 100, speed 6, and PPI 1000. I was not able to remove with soap and water or cleaners but the stamps work totally fine, just look bad.

We engrave 10-20 A4 sheets of Trodat red rubber here a day so efficient cleaning is important. Our go-to cleaner is slightly watered down Tide Coldwater detergent, thinned out enough to still be "grippy" on the rubber, think vegetable oil viscosity. A fairly soft scrub brush is used alternating between moving circles and straight horizontal passes. The trick is to let the brush tips do the work, if the bristles are bending you're bearing down too hard and not getting into the smaller engraved areas.
    Technology Officer @ Simon's Stamps, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300 105W
    Trotec Speedy II 100W

Xenetech XOT 1313