Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router combo kits, got a preference?

Router combo kits, got a preference?

I've seen a good price for a Dewalt DW618PK 2-1/4 HP EVS Fixed / Plunge Router Combo Kit. Has anyone had experience with this?
    "He who is waiting for something to turn up might start with his own shirt sleeves" (unknown)

Blog Entries
    I got a 618 kit at a good price. Unfortunately, I'd been spoiled by Milwaukees. Took it back and got another Milwaukee 5616-24. There are a lot of fans of the 618 however. Routers are very personal things and what fits my hand like a glove may not be as comfortable for you. Try to get your hands on what you are considering to see how the grip, center of gravity and so forth feel to you.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-13-2014 at 8:37 AM. Reason: sp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Plunger too heavy, up down mechanism on the fixed base trivial & sloppy, motors blow, wire set fail early, has cornball socket connection to the motor. Sub base screw holes right through edge guide rod holes in fixed base casting. Motor is powerful, compact size a plus.

Could have been better thought out. One of the last to make a PK. They had plenty of precedent to do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Judi Watson View Post
    I've seen a good price for a Dewalt DW618PK 2-1/4 HP EVS Fixed / Plunge Router Combo Kit. Has anyone had experience with this?
    I don't have that kit but the plunge base is pretty much the same as the newer Porter-Cable 89X plunge base which I do have. That plunge base is a huge improvement over the 690 plunge base IMO and works well. The only recurring problem I've heard of with that model is a ring magnet which is part of the variable speed control breaking or coming loose. A plus seems to be that the 618 is not top heavy like some 2 h.p. combos so wouldn't be tippy.

Thanks Glenn. That makes sense, the aim is to learn on something I can handle easily. Right now I have a trim router which can do an amazing amount of profile but it's time to move on to a 'real' one.
    "He who is waiting for something to turn up might start with his own shirt sleeves" (unknown)

Thanks Pat. Right, sounds defective, yikes. My only experience with routing is with a trim router. Have you had a good wear & tear experience with your router? Do you have a brand suggestion?

Thank you Curt, the weight and balance is important so makes sense to pay attention to that. It's the next tool to learn a step up from the Rigid trim router I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Judi Watson View Post
    Thanks Glenn. That makes sense, the aim is to learn on something I can handle easily. Right now I have a trim router which can do an amazing amount of profile but it's time to move on to a 'real' one.
    Judi - I am not a router hound - use them relatively infrequently, but have no problem with them when the task calls for it.

The Porter Cable 69XX series has always done everyting I needed. To the point that I have multiple motors mounted to multiple bases, so I don't have to swap - over time, I have snagged extra motors and/or bases here when they came available. I think I got one motor on CL - don't recall where they all came from.

LIghtweight, easy to handle, new version at 1.75 HP + VS.

THe only reason I can think of for me to get a bigger one is if I ever decided I need a router table - then I'll get the PC 7518. UNtil then, I'm good.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

A pity, but the 618 has a checkered history and some design & material funkiness.
    Notwithstanding, they (DeWalt) did do 2 things without compromise.
    They bought the DW 621 and 625 from Elu and did not change anything but the color.
    In my view, the DW621 is the best mid-range router/plunger in the world.

I have the 618 3 base kit. I like the D handle base. The bit height adjustment is similar to that on the Porter Cable 690. The magnet ring that is prone to breakage helps keep speed constant when running at less than maximum speed. The breakage seems to happen when the router is upside down in a table. As such, I use mine hand held only.

John

I bought the 618 kit years ago and very much like it. Although my Festool routers get first nod most of the time, the Dewalt tool really fit certain needs, especially when I want to use a fixed base (D-handle or regular) for things like dovetails.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the 618 kit and have had no issues so far. I primarily use it in my table and its successfully handled everything I've thrown at it as of yet. Decent router at a decent price. However, its certainly no Festool either.

I have to vote for Bosch 1617 EVSPK. At 2.25 HP it can hold its own in a router table, but to me is easy to handle free hand good balance and maneuverable. Compared to the PC 690 i had, the coarse and fine adjustment methods are a ton easier. I've also come to like their guide template system, and their edge guide is top notch (though a separate purchase). Finally, the fixed base is tapped for a Bosch 4-screw attachment, but when the sub-base is removed, there is a 3-hole pattern that matches the PC 690--so any plate made for the 690 fits without modification. Wooden handles on the fixed base maintain grip even on hot, muggy days, and the fixed base also offers the ability to do fine adjustments from atop a router table when mounted (you have to reach under to unlatch/relatch the catch). I've got two of these kits, one fixed base is table mounted, one with fixed with Bosch template adapter, one plunge in standard configuration and one usually with an oversized square plate or Milescraft turn lock plate attached. Dust collection adapters are okay, but overpriced. Can't think of much else i like about them. ;>)

My opinion only, your mileage may vary.
    earl
    002.jpg
    Last edited by Earl McLain; 11-13-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    I have to vote for Bosch 1617 EVSPK. At 2.25 HP it can hold its own in a router table, but to me is easy to handle free hand good balance and maneuverable. Compared to the PC 690 i had, the coarse and fine adjustment methods are a ton easier. I've also come to like their guide template system, and their edge guide is top notch (though a separate purchase). Finally, the fixed base is tapped for a Bosch 4-screw attachment, but when the sub-base is removed, there is a 3-hole pattern that matches the PC 690--so any plate made for the 690 fits without modification. Wooden handles on the fixed base maintain grip even on hot, muggy days, and the fixed base also offers the ability to do fine adjustments from atop a router table when mounted (you have to reach under to unlatch/relatch the catch). I've got two of these kits, one fixed base is table mounted, one with fixed with Bosch template adapter, one plunge in standard configuration and one usually with an oversized square plate or Milescraft turn lock plate attached. Dust collection adapters are okay, but overpriced. Can't think of much else i like about them. ;>)

My opinion only, your mileage may vary.
    earl
    002.jpg
    Thanks Earl, that's helpful / informative, much appreciated.

Good to know, thanks Jim