Thread: Preventing thin wood warp'age ?

Preventing thin wood warp'age ?

Ok, so I got some 1/16" wood to play around with, and I came up with this 18" x 10" laser cut eagle project - might say it's a puzzle (?)

eagle.jpg

But when I tried to glue the outer pieces, they curled up on me, despite having a flat weight on top. Does anyone have any tips to prevent this?

Note* The middle/eagle pieces went on without a hitch, but I did cut & glue them down during the warmer afternoon. The outer pieces were cut this morning, when it was cool. Would this be a factor?

Thanks in advance
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Mike

I think I would clamp them if that's an option for you. Otherwise glue both surfaces, cover with wax paper, and use a large piece of wood and a weight to hold them flat.

It's possible that moisture in the wood is causing the problem. I've had 1/8" ply warped enough that no amount of clamping would fix it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    My Dad used to do Marquetry when he was alive, He would place all of his thin veneers face down on a masking tape surface. Once all the pieces were assembled, he would spread glue on the back side and glue it to a substrate (usually plywood) and then place it in a heavy duty book press for a couple of weeks as the glue dried. This prevented the moisture in the glue from warping and bowing the thin wood. You might want to get a book on Marquetry to read their techniques for working with thin woods.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute