Thread: Vacuum lamination: Have you used Old Brown Glue

Vacuum lamination: Have you used Old Brown Glue

Unibond 800 is terrific for bent laminations. It's strong, rigid, dries reasonably quickly and, with colorants, the glue line is all but invisible. But it does carry some significant health risks I would just as soon avoid. I'm planning a Maple bent lamination with some pretty good curves in it. There was a brief note in 2013 in Fine Woodworking about using Old Brown Glue as an alternative. I'm wondering what your experiences have been with it in terms of spring back and appearance of the glue line. Also, since it cures by evaporation, how long would you leave it in the press? I expect to use between 9 lamination layers for this project. Thanks

Blog Entries
    I've used Better Bond, which is an actual veneering glue and claims no harmful fumes. I prefer Ultra-Cat personally, even though it is a PITA to mix and apply and requires ventilation and respiration.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I haven't found that type of glue has any effect on spring back. Whether or not the glue contains water can affect the final set. Unibond contains no water. Many have observed that when using glues containing water that after the initial spring
    back that the piece will curve more as the water leaves it.