Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips and ideas for lasers

This was one of the first posts I found when researching getting into laser engraving. It was very comforting to see all of things that were possible and it also helped to sell my wife on the idea. A general thank you to everyone at the Creek. All of this and more for $6. What a bargain!

Michael.
    Tap Plastics has something called Acrylic Plus which is supposed to be twice as strong as regular acrylic. Iv'e never used it, but it may be what you're looking for.

Thanks very much for the detailed answer Rodne. Alas it looks like the process is a little too toxic for where I currently am (I'm already getting brain-damage for spraying paint on the balcony....just because I painted the table gold by accident). Definitely something to keep in mind for the future though, or maybe useable here for tiny projects. Incidentally, I'm envious of your toy...erm...equipment list on your site. Makes my laser and bag of assorted paints look shabby in comparison.

If you seriously want a wiki, I can sling one up by the end of the week. I'm in webdesigner mode at the moment.

Ed Newbold Guest

Plans found at this site

Wow, here's a nice site with free plans.

http://shopofarpop.com/FP/fpanimals.html

It's a minor inconvenience that they're in .jpg frmat, but with that new Standford conversion site, it's now a piece of cake converting them.

Cheers,

Etching Stone?

Thank You Sir,
    Awesome info much appreciated -Excellent !!!!

Ever tried to etch stone? Pretty simple stuff with the right masking film and some deluted acid you can carve just about anything? Can't seam to find the perfect mask yet but the principle theory is awesome. Any clues
    on a quality mask. Liquid latex, is good stuff, but you have to engrave it twice to get it all off, and acrylics won't peal off like the latex. I see companys out their making a killing off this stuff.
    THANK YOU
    Lw

i would imagine paint would mak a good mask , however there is an issue with laser engraving and chemical etching in that there always is a residue , so one has clean the lasered section and the best way to do it is sandblast it. So the mask needs to be a fairly strongish sandblast resist too.
    Apart from all this , it must also be easy to remove the mask after........
    I have not tried stone at all , there is no real market in my country for it apart from gravestones.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I cant read my history books anymore because i'm busy with reading SMC all the time !! Great information, thanks.
    epilog mini24 45W laser
    purex indoor air filter
    black&decker compressor
    felix compressor&airbrush

sawgrass sublimation system

Information is valuable only when it's shared.

Best exercise is the race itself-M.Schumacher.

A while back, I was looking into screen printing my cardboard boxes, but I wasn’t impressed with anything I could afford.
    I also looked into outsourcing the job, but then there were artwork charges and minimum quantities to deal with.
    So, I put a white cardboard box into the engraver and after a few minutes of experimenting and aligning… I was impressed!
    I get very professional looking results without going outside to get the work done.
    The power is set relatively low and the speed is at 100% so they engrave pretty fast.
    Now, I only engrave a box when I need to, and artwork changes are no problem (adding a personal message… just type it in!).
    The boxes I engrave aren’t very large, so they fit into the engraver flat (unfolded) and the alignment is always right on.

I don’t have to worry about lead times, or backorders, or the printer screwing up.
    I get my boxes in bulk from U-line for pennies a piece, and I engrave them as needed.

So if you haven’t already done it, give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kowalczyk View Post

Does anyone know of a vender here in the US that carries 1mm UHI acrylic (ultra high impact)? I did a quick google search and this post shows up. Could it be called something else this in this hemisphere?

Thanks again and...
    I had the same problem several years ago... I was never able to find a supplier in the USA. Probably has something terrible in it that causes Californians to have a rash......

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

For the bookmarks and anything that needs bendding or flexes a lot or needs some sort of flap or hinge that needs to be bent back and forth multiple times , PETG is an alternative , it doesnt go white at the bend and will survive a LOT of radical bending back and forth without tearing , as easy as acrylic to laser cut.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher