Thread: Vector Magic- Centerline Trace

Vector Magic- Centerline Trace

Hi Guys;
    I've been using Vector Magic's online trace capability off and on for the last six months and have been generally pleased with the results. Lately, however, I have the need for single line traces of some fairly simple images.
    This is not within the current capability of vector Magic, nor in their immediate plans, as related to me in a brief discussion with James Diebel of Vector Magic.
    He understands the need for centerline traces in the laser industry (also in CNC stuff???) but stated that demand for such has been very small. I suggest anyone else interested in such a feature, please email him at
    james@vectormagic.com
    Meanwhile, glad I kept a copy of the separate Corel Trace program that came with Corel 12.
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

Did Corel bring back the centerline trace capability in CorelDraw X4? I just don't understand why Corel did away with that feature in X3.

Does anybody else know of any other method to accomplish centerline tracing without having to find an older copy of CorelDraw or moving up to X4?

I too often find the need for the centerline trace and it can get to be a major pain trying to accomplish it by manually manipulating vector lines, especially in a complicated vector image.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeRegnaucourt View Post
    Did Corel bring back the centerline trace capability in CorelDraw X4?
    Hi Mike,

It is in the X4 Help file so I am guessing it is back in X4. I can't tell you for sure as X4 only runs on XP or Vista and my trial has expired.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

[quote=Mike DeRegnaucourt;1084404]Did Corel bring back the centerline trace capability in CorelDraw X4? I just don't understand why Corel did away with that feature in X3.

Yes it is back in X3

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fuller View Post
    Yes it is back in X3
    Mike...I'm guessing that was a typo and you meant "X4"?

Dave...thanks for the info. I just wish there was some tool or plug-in available out there that would accomplish the centerline trace for us X3 folks. At this point, I cannot justify the expense of upgrading to X4 for centerline trace feature. I'm sure there are other new features included but have not been able to justify it myself.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeRegnaucourt View Post
    Dave...thanks for the info. I just wish there was some tool or plug-in available out there that would accomplish the centerline trace for us X3 folks.
    Have you talked to anyone at Corel. The fact they removed it in X3 then put it back in X4, there may be an update that reinstates it in X3. From a programmers standpoint, I can't imagine it would be hard for them to do that.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Have you talked to anyone at Corel. The fact they removed it in X3 then put it back in X4, there may be an update that reinstates it in X3. From a programmers standpoint, I can't imagine it would be hard for them to do that.
    Hi Dave,

I agree that it should be something they could easily patch. I have not tried contacting Corel yet but I will definitely look into that avenue.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt