Thread: ZShop Light Problems

Unhappy ZShop Light Problems

My garage shop has T-12 fixtures that are 8 years old and the ballasts are dying. So, after some research, bought some Metalux 2 bulb T-8 fixtures that were highly rated. Instant radio interference. Tried the lights one by one. Each one produced the same interference. Not just a buzz in the background, but total obliteration of the signal. Called Metalux and was referred to the Universal company, which makes the ballasts. The CS rep told me I had purchased commercial lights, which are not designed to prevent the RFI. I checked and both the cartons and the ballasts ID'd them as for residential use. Next, was referred to their tech guy. Very pleasant. Sent me two replacement ballasts and told me to check the grounding of the ballasts. Checked each fixture for ballast to ground wire contact. Replaced the ballasts, then checked the ground contact again. Both were good. Turned them on. Same RFI problem. Took the lights down. Next, went to my local electrical supplier. He sold me T-8 ballasts and bulbs in bulk To convert my old t-12 fixtures to t-8. The conversion is extremely simple. Did three lights. Same RFI problem. All three used Universal ballasts. Called the tech guy again. He said the ballasts were commercial grade and to exchange them for the residential model. That was three weeks ago. Still waiting for the local shop to get the residential ballasts in. Still have loads of RFI. I'm now on the verge of taking the ballasts (6 of them) and the 25 bulb t-8 bulk pack back for a refund. The costs was just under $250.

My dilemma is finding a t-8 fixture or t-8 ballasts for conversion of the t-12 fixtures that will be of good quality and not produce RFI. Does anyone have recommendations? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gene

I haven't gotten deep into the details yet but I've seen a couple of LED replacement bulbs online that don't use the ballast. You rewire the fixture to bypass the ballast entirely.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Gene,

That's interesting as I have a couple incandescent lamps on my lathe but nothing but T-8's in the rest of my shop (11 4-bulb fixtures)my shop and have no RFI problems. I had the empty shell of my shop built and then I wired it, insulated and finished it. I know my grounds are good. Typically RFI insulation is a result of either a lack of shielding or a bad ground.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-07-2014 at 12:47 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I used these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...-203124228-_-N and am very happy with them. Tons of light, good efficiency, no RFI issues. The bulbs are pricey but they are supposed to last a long time.

Have you tried a different radio?
    If the radio is line powered try one with a battery. Also try moving it to a different outlet.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I had the same problem with eight, 4 bulb, T8 fixtures.
    I was able to buy ... clearly marked ... 'residential' ballasts at HD ... fixed the issue.

The Metalux brand didn't cause me any problems but I only listened to FM in my shop. Are you listening to AM?

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and suggestions. I found GE71037 T=8 ballasts at Lighting Components of New York at $13.99 each. Took out the Universal ballasts and put in the GE. No more interference. All universal ballasts rated as residential have disappeared from the market.
    Thanks again,
    Gene