Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Household vacuum cleaner recommendation

Household vacuum cleaner recommendation

Preferably under $200, preferably upright, low pile carpets and hardwood, but no pet hair. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've looked around a bit and at the $400+ end I see Miele and Dyson, and in my range there's Eureka, Shark, Hoover and some others. Any thoughts? TIA.

I can't make any recommendations 200 or below. I really like the prochem PV 12 (which is an automatic height adjustment version of the Sebo X automatic). It's not too piggish on power, it's quiet, etc. Parts for it are readily available, and the beater brush is very easy to change when the time comes to do it.

It's about $470 shipped, though (but made in germany). We've been using one heavily for about 8 years after using cheapie vacs for a while, and it's no contest. We'd get about 2 years per out of the cheapie vacs before they'd have some kind of problem.

It has a self retracting hose for attachments (the vacuum itself retracts the hose with suction when you put the head back into its clip), the height adjustment is automatic, and it has a rubber strip halfway back under the brush so the brush never slings dust backwards where you already vacuumed when you go on to hard floors.

The sebo automatic (same thing) is nice, but for whatever reason, sebo has decided that they'd price their vacuums to the moon here, literally more expensive here than they are in europe after a VAT is added. When I got the prochem, the vac labeled sebo was $779, and the prochem version of the identical vacuum was $429 or something.

I wouldn't put the dyson stuff in the same class, it's bulky, and the sebo versions of vacs are a little more classic and less bulky. They can get under a lot more stuff, and can lay flat and still vacuum.

There are decent alternatives for bags and filters for the sebo vacs, too, all the way up to charcoal activated filters if you don't like any smells at all when you run the vac. (the german parts are a tad expensive, like $2 a bag, but the US made aftermarket stuff is about half that or a little less).

Same vac is sold as Prochem PV12, Windsor Sensor, Century 400, Sebo X4 Automatic, and sears has one of their kenmore labels on it. They are all wildly different in price, where the price is low for commercial vacuums and higher for retail vac store labels.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 11-05-2014 at 2:54 PM.

No affiliation but I am an end-user of Riccar vacuum cleaners....American made as well.

http://riccar.com/index.asp
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have used a sanitaire vacuum on the job cleaning CVS Pharmacys after construction and before the gondola goes in for years. It still is the same one and takes a beating. When we stay in Motels that is the one most use also.

Probably not under $200 but the Dyson is the best home vac I have bought, and I've bought several brands over the years.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If you watch the Woot web site they have refurbised Dysons for under $200 bout once a week

+1 on the rebuilt Dyson

We bought a Shark on something of a whim. Pretty light and maneuverable, it sucks lots, doesn't work well on carpets with long knap (I think that's the proper term). there's an electronic overload that will stop the beater. It doesn't do bad vacuuming these near-shag rugs with the brush turned off. There's a 3 position switch - off, suction, suction plus beater brush. We have a lot of pet hair. SWMBOs biggest complaint is that the cannister is kinda small but that may not be an issue if you don't have critters.

Don't have any complaints with our 2 month old Shark Navigator. Got it at WalMart for about $129.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Find a used Kirby...............Rod.

Check Big Lots for refurb Dysons. That's where we got ours and its been so long I can't remember when we got it--at least 5 years, probably considerably more.

We got some new carpet that it too thick for the Dyson. In fact we were warned it could actually damage the carpet and besides my wife really wanted a second now that we live in a 2-story house. We bought this Bissell and it works well but you can tell its more cheaply made than the Dyson so its hard to say how it will last. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Wife has tried many vacuums over the years. One Rainbow we had lasted 30 years. She now has a Dyson and likes it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Check out the Bissell PowerClean One Pass.. About $110 at Kohls. A clear dust canister that is easy to remove, empty, and even wash. A self retracting power cord which works flawlessly. Two height settings, plenty of suction, and the usual accessories which are all conveniently stowed on board. It is by far the best vac we have ever owned. We have an in wall system in the house, but the "vacuumers" reach for the Bissell first. It is 2-3 years old now and no issues.

Do you have any carpeted stairs?

My wife's friends were all buying Dysons and she jumped on the wagon. It cleans well but isn't too handy for vacuuming carpeted stairways. I am fan of canister vacuums if you have carpeted stairways.

We have a DIL and 3 grandkids living with us temporarily and she bought a Shark upright. Both the Dyson and the Shark work well.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-06-2014 at 10:28 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great thread for me as I don't own a vacuum cleaner and I am moving into a house in about 10 days. My previous house had central vacuum so I didn't need another vacuum cleaner. I can install central vac for not much more than a good upright, but no time right now.

Miele scores real well on Consumer Reports, but not cheap. I talked to a Miele salesperson and he said about the only reason to get a canister is if you need to get under low furniture with the brush head. Nothing mentioned about the stairs issue. (I will have carpeted stairs.)