Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Buyer Beware: Delta Tools

Blog Entries
    This is sad. I have a Delta 2000 Contractors Saw that is excellent and going strong after 15 years. I also have a Rockwell shaper that is going strong after 35 years.

I bought the Delta 18/36 drum sander and am hoping nothing goes wrong with it. It seems that parts are no longer made for it.

The new owners may have no more interest in the company than the name....a common occurrence these days (See Singer Sowing Machines for historical perspective). I have no real knowledge of the specifics of this particular acquisition or the intentions of the current owners of the assets.

This can be a tough environment for customers who recognize the name but really have no way to grasp what it has become or is becoming under the new ownership.

New owners never buy assets like this intending to just continue to operate them as the previous owners did. They often intend using their own suppliers instead of the incumbent suppliers and replacement parts becomes just one of the issues caught in the middle. There is almost always a cost reduction plan and often it lies at the heart of the original interest in buying the assets in the first place. Does not mean the company is incapable of designing and building good tools. But it very often does represent a rebirth for the company as something different than what it was. Does sound like this one is turning into one of the more painful company rebirths. Not like there is a shortage of power tool suppliers in the world for one thing. Again just to be clear...I have no specific knowledge in this case but have been involved in these sorts of acquisitions from both sides....as an acquirer and as the acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I tried that 3 years ago. They denied my dispute because the merchant said I was wrong. I went to a local branch and spoke to the manager. The manager agreed I was clearly correct, and called on my behalf. They told him there was nothing they could do when the merchant disputed it. However they did tell him there was an undocumented appeals I could try. The merchant never replied to the appeals within the required time, so credit card people asked me to give them more time to work on it. When I refused, they reluctantly refunded my money.

Unless the OPs CC company is friendlier than mine, that route is not promising.

I have never tried the CC extended warranty route. Anyone have success with that?
    I had a new iPod touch about 7 years ago at Costco using my AmEx and within the first 30 dropped it onto my garage floor and sure enough, shattered the screen. I called AmEx (expecting nothing really) and was rewarded with a simple 'send us the receipt, and a photo of the iPod, and we will credit your account the amount of the purchase.' Took less than a week and the refund was on my account. Used it to buy a new one and didn't confess to my wife what had happened for about four years, since it was a present from her.

This thing with Delta didn't start in 2009. It started way before that. What does it say when the smart folks over at Stanley bought the whole B&D empire and decided to dump the Delta brand quick? Doesn't scream this is a healthy brand worth fighting to build up. I remember something in their press release about they do hand tools, etc, machines not really complimentary to their line, etc. Thats press release speak for we had to dump that junk quick and good luck to the new owners. Shame, really, I have several very good delta machines with lots of miles on them, hate to think of having to smelt them should I need parts, but thats the reality. Or treat them like British cars and buy 2-3 so I have spares for parts? In my life time Delta has been owned by a hair dryer company, a toaster oven company, briefly by a hardware company and now by a Korean company about which few seem to know anything. No, this didn't happen over night.

I have several working theories about the new owners. The most generous one is that they are very smart, have purchased a brand that they are marketing in Asia which is a huge growth market and have essentially forsaken the US market seeing the prospects here either dim or merely out of their range. The second is they are part of a much larger parent company unnamed that makes a lot of money here and needs to lose some for tax purposes, so they are stringing this thing along purposefully letting it flounder because that is exactly the goal. The third is they have spent money on a brand that should be retired and are complete idiots that will soon be writing this off. I can't imagine their sales in this market are much to speak of? Who in their right mind would make an investment in one of their tools at this point? None of these theories are based on actual evidence, strictly speculation based on casual evidence and market performance. I would be curious to know the truth. I'd send them and email but I don't know how to say "Hey, your company is dying...whats up?" in Korean.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Blog Entries
    I really hate to read this thread.

Half of my shop is Delta.

I was in my local Woodcraft (Leesburg, VA) a year or 2 ago and the topic of Delta tools came up. The fellow I was talking to didn't speak the words, Just kind of gave me a certain look that said - We're done with Delta.

David, I'm glad that amazon was able to help you resolve the situation. I like amazon a lot.

Personally, I won't be buying anymore tools from Delta. There are other manufacturers we can use.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I have several working theories about the new owners.
    IMHO, they're a marginally capitalized manufacturer that probably overpaid for the brand when the global markets were tanking.

BUT, I have actually seen signs of improvement. Their parts website has steadily improved, not only in operation but in actual parts availability.

I'm not going to write them off yet.

I know this thread is several months old - but I have been thinking about getting a new drill press and just finished reading the Sept/Oct issue of Fine WoodWorking

They tested 10 drill presses (not a Powermatic however) and the Delta came out as "Best Overall" with the Porter Cable PCB660DPe as the "Best Value"

Quote Originally Posted by John Huds0n View Post
    I know this thread is several months old - but I have been thinking about getting a new drill press and just finished reading the Sept/Oct issue of Fine WoodWorking

They tested 10 drill presses (not a Powermatic however) and the Delta came out as "Best Overall" with the Porter Cable PCB660DPe as the "Best Value"
    The issue that repeatedly comes up with both those brands is: Service and support. It is miserable, based on the comments here. I would have a problem with a Delta, but I would run like a scalded cat away from a PC floor DP. Both of those brands have been undergoing major upheaval in ownership, products, quality, and service for the past 5 years +/-.

FWIW - My opinion, as a former FWW devotee, is that FWW is also in the miserable category. Don't believe everything you read, which includes them, and this post. I would ask how many paid adverts from Delta and PC are in the rag? Used to not matter.

Just giving you some perspective............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

My goal with posting this thread was to hopefully let others that are interested in the tool/company, to consider their options before buying. I ended up with the Powermatic PM2800B and couldn't be happier. Their support has been responsive and have sent me parts that were a little messed up (Depth travel stop nut). I'm really glad that the whole ordeal happened because I love the Variable speed on the PM DP, which the Delta didn't have.

I personally have lost respect for Delta and won't be purchasing again, but YMMV. As long as you end up with a tool that suits your needs and works great.

Blog Entries
    You know, I think to a large degree, New Delta tools, at least say something like a Unisaw, aren't available to us anymore. Vendors like Tools-Plus and Woodcraft aren't selling Delta Tools anymore. I see amazon still seems to have a few things for sale from Delta (the Unisaw, a drill press, at least 1 lathe).

Here on our local cragislist (Washington DC), As far as used, stationary, woodworking tools, Delta is a huge player. Question is are you willing to bring a used Delta tool into your shop. At this point, for me, no, I'm not.

PHM

Buying used Delta, depends. I bought my 14" lathe about 3 1/2 years ago and last year actually got some parts from Delta to fix abuses from its prior life. So in some cases it may be possible. The older stuff, well you know parts wouldn't be available anyway and there is a community of folks who help each other on those things. I really don't see new Delta any more. Even more perplexing when you hear about a review of some new Delta TS or DP.