Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buyer Beware: Delta Tools

Exclamation Buyer Beware: Delta Tools

First of all, I hope this is in the right place. I wanted to bring up my current experience that I'm having with Delta Machinery about a new drill press that I purchased so that others are aware of this and hopefully can help others avoid this situation.

I purchased a Delta 18-900L 18-inch Laser Drill Press through Amazon in January of 2014. I received the tool and personal matters came up and I wasn't able to assemble the tool for a few months. When I assembled the DP, everything seemed great until I tested the stroke, which I immediately noticed an issue where there was "hiccups" when depressing the quill.

I called Delta and they told me that I need to take the tool to my local Service Center (SC) that works with Delta warranties. I dropped the tool off and they were able to look at it a few weeks later, in which they found the issues and were going to order parts from Delta. A few months passed and I had heard nothing about the tool, so I gave the SC a call and they said they were still waiting on parts from Delta. They also told me that Delta parts are hard to come by as they have shut down many part manufacturing plants and so on.

I waited another 2 months or so and called the SC back. They let me know that they had just gotten the parts in and let me know that they attempted to use the parts sent from Delta, but the replacement parts that were sent to them were actually USED and in worse condition that the parts in my DP.

At this point, I began contacting Delta to let them know that I'm fed up with this and I no longer want the tool as I don't want a tool that I can't get parts for and when I do get parts, they could potentially be used and in worse condition than the originals. I've been going back and forth with Delta and the SC for a few weeks now and still have gone nowhere. Delta told me that there's no way that used parts were sent to the SC, but I've seen the parts and they are in fact used. So now Delta is lying to me.

Luckily, the SC said that they would work with Delta on my behalf to get them to take the machine back, which was about a week ago. I got a call today from the SC and they let me know that they've not been able to get anywhere with Delta and that they unfortunately are no longer going to be able to work on my machine as they, because of this fiasco, are no longer going to be working with Delta and will be removing them as an official SC for Delta tools.

I don't blame them, but this is getting to be very frustrating. Now I am having to contact Delta and try to get this DP returned so that I can buy an "Actual" worthy tool. I'm now awaiting a call back from the manager at Delta, but have to wait until Monday to hear back from him, but as the SC employee told me, they are not being helpful and are just trying to pass the buck.

If you've made it this far, hopefully I have changed your thoughts on Delta if you had good ones, or maybe I'm just behind in the times and everybody knows not to buy Delta tools. Unfortunately for me, I'm learning this lesson the hard way.

I've heard similar stories. I bought an out feed table and it took 3 tries to get a proper J bolt for the leg of the out feed table. My local SC is just as fed up. Delta is no longer the Delta we used to know. Too bad too.

There are a few service centers that are no longer working with delta, and a few places stoped selling delta because of problems like these. Seemed to start with the rebates a year or two ago and all down hill from there.

Bob

Will Amazon help at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    Will Amazon help at all?
    That was my thought too. You may be outside their return period, but a phone call to ask doesnt cost much.

Dude I hate that for you. I use to swear by Delta a long time ago. To be honest the last two tools were crap, and the whole x5 warantee was crap. I sold my drum sander at about a third of purchase just to get rid of it from the shop. I'll never own another one. Such a shame I've got a 1934 14BS one of the best tools i've ever owned (still has original paint stickers, and motor. Good luck man and don't give in

I have a shop full of delta tools, a jointer, planer, had a shaper I sold in an upgrade, newest thing is a drill press about 8 years old, most are 20-30. But I'm right there with you. Luckily mine all work fine, if they fail I'm in then cold as far as getting parts. Have been for years. They are on the edge, apparently the new owners have not made the turn around I had hoped for. I can't get parts for a 25year old shaper, too bad for me. But if you can't get pats for a brand new DP....that's just sad. Hope this works out for you soon.

I bought a Delta 18-900L last year and I haven't had any problems with it. Hopefully you can get this resolved.
    Earl

Ask the SC to send you an email describing the situation -- Just the facts.

Once you get that, go to small claims court. The hard part here is I'm not sure how that works with a big company like Delta that is HQ'd in another state. Perhaps somebody on this board can help with that.

It is quite a shame that Delta (and other traditional suppliers) have gone downhill. Too many people want cheap, and most are happy with what they get... but that is another thread.

Good luck getting your DP fixed or a refund.

-Tom in SoCal

This issue about parts has been around several years now. The only Delta machine I currently have is the drum sander and I've saved the webpages showing how others have retro-fitted fixes to know issues, because parts are almost impossible to find. I'm in the market now for an 8" jointer and a new drum sander and Delta is off the list, new or used. I hate that because some of the older, nicer iron is Delta, but if I can't fix it when it breaks, then that is money down the drain.

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    Will Amazon help at all?
    I have contacted Amazon as a backup plan in case Delta does nothing for me. Since its outside of the 30 day return period they said its a 20% restocking fee and I would have to pay for shipping, which I'm sure is about $100-$150. He did talk to his manager later in the conversation and said that they will take the return for $200 total, so I do have that route.

Hopefully I can have Delta take it back, but we will see. I'll keep everybody updated on what happens

When they were refusing to fulfill a rebate on an 18-900 for me I called their offices and told them if I didn't have confirmation it was in the mail by COB that day I was contacting the attorney general in SC and MI. I got an email later that day saying she had just gotten back from dropping it off at the post office and I had it 2 days later. You might try that route.

Quote Originally Posted by David B Thornton View Post
    I have contacted Amazon as a backup plan in case Delta does nothing for me. Since its outside of the 30 day return period they said its a 20% restocking fee and I would have to pay for shipping, which I'm sure is about $100-$150. He did talk to his manager later in the conversation and said that they will take the return for $200 total, so I do have that route.

Hopefully I can have Delta take it back, but we will see. I'll keep everybody updated on what happens
    Wow that would suck, but some times life's lessons aren't cheap. I don't know what that would represent of the total you paid, but at least it would be something.

Man that sucks.

Can you describe the hiccup problem? Was the quill hanging-up in the bore or binding or something?

What exactly is wrong with the thing?

The problems with Delta are well documented. It seems the only Delta machine parts available are on the used market. That's why so many people prefer restoring the old iron. Me included. I can get any part for all my machines.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night