Thread: One way I move heavy stuff in your shop

One way I move heavy stuff in your shop

There are many good techniques to gain mechanical advantage in your workshop. The bigger your shop gets, the bigger your tools become. I made a video showing one of the ways I move heavy things in my shop.

http://youtu.be/8fhkKSUhDJA

Is that the bottom of trusses you are pulling down on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie May View Post
    Is that the bottom of trusses you are pulling down on?
    Yeah, the bottom of the trusses which are not engineered to support weight being pulled from below, but personal experience has shown that in my case, 1 truss can easily support my weight (170 lbs) pulling down ... so 2 trusses has no trouble with 100 lbs. But, this is a good point.... anyone else should carefully consider how much weight they are putting on on their trusses if it might exceed a couple hundred pounds.

I can tell that it is a stage shop only.... no real shop looks that nice. Everything is clean and tidy.... Well, I would think that if I had not seen other videos such as "four hours of wood working in under four minutes thanks to Festool"

You make nice videos!

The title of your post makes it all clear now. "One way I move heavy stuff in your shop" I've been wondering how some of the heavy things in my shop have gotten moved. Now I know. While you're at it, could you clean up my shop and make it look like yours?

Literally LOL!!! You made me almost do a spit take. I couldn't figure out how to correct the title of the post. No biggie. Thanks for the laugh.

I have done the same thing in my open-ceiling shop with lots heavier lifts by temp installing a couple of stiff legs under the appropriate joists to prevent the joists from sagging under the load.
    David

Another thing that helps with mobility of heavy stuff in your shop would be putting locking casters on your work bench / outfeed table. I couldn't operate without my work carts.

What a great way to protect your back, and it moves around your shop too. I have not seen that particular type lift before, need to check it out. Great quality video too.

Rick P

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Another thing that helps with mobility of heavy stuff in your shop would be putting locking casters on your work bench / outfeed table. I couldn't operate without my work carts.
    That's a really good idea for the small work table I was using... I'm constantly scooting it around!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    The title of your post makes it all clear now. "One way I move heavy stuff in your shop" I've been wondering how some of the heavy things in my shop have gotten moved. Now I know. While you're at it, could you clean up my shop and make it look like yours?
    I was wondering who was going to be the first.... you beat me to it Dave