Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable rip fence

Adjustable rip fence

Is anyone aware of an adjustable rip fence available in the US. I don't mean adjustable for width, but adjustable from front to back of the table saw blade. I understand the English use this kind of fence as a means of eliminating kickback (once the wood is past the blade it can no longer bind or be pinched between the blade and the fence (as I understand the concept)).

Thanks.

My Delta Unifence has that capability, but I do not think they are sold new anymore.

Perhaps you could find a good condition used Unifence relatively cheap. I did and now have two of them. I really like the Unifence, especially after adding a Uni-T-fence rail sold by Peachtree Woodworking.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

You can make a clamp on add to a Beisemeyer type fence. I made one using 1/2" MDF (actual 1/2" thick and not fraction dimension like plywood) to help using the measurement scale. I use it in different positions including as a sacrificial fence when using a dado blade to cut rabbets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    You can make a clamp on add to a Beisemeyer type fence. I made one using 1/2" MDF (actual 1/2" thick and not fraction dimension like plywood) to help using the measurement scale. I use it in different positions including as a sacrificial fence when using a dado blade to cut rabbets.
    I made this cover for my Beismeyer.lsfence1.jpg
    lsfence2.jpg
    lsfence3.jpg
    You can slide it along the length of the fence, the toggle clamps will hold it in place.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Very Super Cool Tools (vsctools.com) sells an adjustable fence.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I made this cover for my Beismeyer.
    Thanks for posting that Lee. Ive seen covers like yours, but never with the metal side. Ive begun using magnetic feather boards and (if I understand what youve done correctly), this will let me use them in the vertical as essentially hold downs. Do you clamp the back of your Biese to the table when you do this?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have a fence from HTC which has that adjustment. (It also has a microadjuster, which is a useful feature.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thanks for posting that Lee. Ive seen covers like yours, but never with the metal side. Ive begun using magnetic feather boards and (if I understand what youve done correctly), this will let me use them in the vertical as essentially hold downs. Do you clamp the back of your Biese to the table when you do this?

Fred
    No I don't need to clamp the fence down, my magnetic feather boards came with sandpaper covered rollers that are biased to pull the piece being ripped toward the fence as well as holding it down. The steel piece was an accessory they offer to mount the feather board in the vertical position. You can get the rollers and steel plate from Grip Tite as an upgrade. I go mine as a package many years ago at a wood show. I use my Grip Tite feather boards all the time and am still very pleased with them
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-19-2014 at 6:38 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'd be really surprised at any quality fence that didn't have some way of adjusting it parallel...it's a key to safety. For "Tee Square" type fences, these adjustments are usually something like set screws on the "tee" that engages the front fence rail.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jessem's clear-cut TS stock guide is a very good safety device for the table saw, it is similar to what power feeder does.

http://www.jessemdirect.com/product_p/04301.htm

Lee, I like your add on to your fence. James, thanks for the JEssem link. JAmie, I couldn't find any information on an HTC rip fence that adjusts forward and back of the blade.

Here is one made by General international. I have no experience with it.

http://www.general.ca/products/2_exc.../SLF35T52.html

Hmmm,

That one is interesting, Mike. Looks like a Bies clone with a couple holes drilled in it for a Unifence extrusion.

RP

As far as I know, that type of fence needs to be purchased in Europe. It's standard on European table saws by law as I recall.

Here is some excellent info from Kelly Mehler on the European type fence: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...uropean_saws/2

Pay attention to the section on "fences".

As I recall, the original--before Delta bought out Beismeyer--Delta fence was of the type you seem to be referring to.
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 10-22-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    As far as I know, that type of fence needs to be purchased in Europe. It's standard on European table saws by law as I recall.

Here is some excellent info from Kelly Mehler on the European type fence: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...uropean_saws/2

Pay attention to the section on "fences".

As I recall, the original--before Delta bought out Beismeyer--Delta fence was of the type you seem to be referring to.
    Having the multi-funcyion Euro fence on my saw, there's no way I would go back to the old single function fence.

The article you provided a link to is good, however the claim that dado cutting is not legal on Euro saws is not true. Dado is an approved operation if guarding and blade braking are up to spec.

Regards, Rod.